Moved Corals to QT, Looking Bad.

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am running hypo in my DT so I moved all my corals/inverts and some rocks to a QT. The QT is a 55 gallon I picked up from my friend. It was left outside exposed to the elements. I gave it a quick rinse outside with the hose, and filled it up. There was some sand and other debris still left over in there, and the water looks a little dirty.

I used mostly RO and mixed fresh salt, and used some reef water from my LFS to fill 35 gallons. The alkalinity and calcium levels were close to my DT. I accidentally transferred the corals in at a salinity of like 28ppt while my display was at 34ppt. The corals looked terrible, so when I realized this I bumped it back up to 33ppt. It's been a few days and they still look awful. I'm worried they're all going to die. I'm using my gyre for flow.

The nitrate levels are obviously 0, so I dropped a couple cubes of oyster eggs in there over those few days. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am running hypo in my DT so I moved all my corals/inverts and some rocks to a QT. The QT is a 55 gallon I picked up from my friend. It was left outside exposed to the elements. I gave it a quick rinse outside with the hose, and filled it up. There was some sand and other debris still left over in there, and the water looks a little dirty.

I used mostly RO and mixed fresh salt, and used some reef water from my LFS to fill 35 gallons. The alkalinity and calcium levels were close to my DT. I accidentally transferred the corals in at a salinity of like 28ppt while my display was at 34ppt. The corals looked terrible, so when I realized this I bumped it back up to 33ppt. It's been a few days and they still look awful. I'm worried they're all going to die. I'm using my gyre for flow.

The nitrate levels are obviously 0, so I dropped a couple cubes of oyster eggs in there over those few days. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks.
Hey, do you have some sort of filtration? It's like going to a new tank basically with no nutrients. I'm assuming you transferred your lights to the QT, same schedule, etc? There's a lot of potential factors here, but simply put, you need to match your DT as close as you can.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, do you have some sort of filtration? It's like going to a new tank basically with no nutrients. I'm assuming you transferred your lights to the QT, same schedule, etc? There's a lot of potential factors here, but simply put, you need to match your DT as close as you can.
No filtration.
Yes I brought the light over and turned it down a bit because it’s closer to the corals now.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks.
Try and get your regular tank fixed asap with stable perimeters in range because just giving a new setup a quick rinse outside with the hose with no cycle is asking for additional problems, a hospital tank is very good when you have it running right.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and get your regular tank fixed asap with stable perimeters in range because just giving a new setup a quick rinse outside with the hose with no cycle is asking for additional problems, a hospital tank is very good when you have it running right.
It’s not gonna be ready for over a month, I’m running hypo to treat ich and flukes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back