Moving 1100 miles in 3 Months help....thoughts

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I am preparing to move in December from Indiana to Florida I have to reef tanks a waterbox 15 and a red sea E170 AIO (45 gals)
Both tanks have 2 clown fish and rock and soft corals.
Heres my plan I am looking for help advice?
The move will take roughly 24 to 30 hours.
Bag the fish put them in boxes.
Bag the rock with water.
Take what corals I can off the rocks and put them in water and in tupperware or?
Put all the fish and rock and corals in a plastic tub with a lid.
Drive to first stop that night and take them into the hotel from the trunk of the car.
Put tanks in Uhaul.
The Waterbox will be setup when I get to the new house quickly as thats where I will put the fish.
I hopefullly am making a trip in November to run water so I can quickly add the salt and new sand in a couple of hours have the 45 gal setup.
Wait a day or two and add fish to the 45 gal.
Wait and hope.
Any one done this have thoughts ideas???
Thanks
Joe

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I am preparing to move in December from Indiana to Florida I have to reef tanks a waterbox 15 and a red sea E170 AIO (45 gals)
Both tanks have 2 clown fish and rock and soft corals.
Heres my plan I am looking for help advice?
The move will take roughly 24 to 30 hours.
Bag the fish put them in boxes.
Bag the rock with water.
Take what corals I can off the rocks and put them in water and in tupperware or?
Put all the fish and rock and corals in a plastic tub with a lid.
Drive to first stop that night and take them into the hotel from the trunk of the car.
Put tanks in Uhaul.
The Waterbox will be setup when I get to the new house quickly as thats where I will put the fish.
I hopefullly am making a trip in November to run water so I can quickly add the salt and new sand in a couple of hours have the 45 gal setup.
Wait a day or two and add fish to the 45 gal.
Wait and hope.
Any one done this have thoughts ideas???
Thanks
Joe
If your gunna move here to Florida think like the Florida man, get a blowup pool and a trailer make sure you put the pool in the trailer before you inflate it, then fill it with your corals and kids and come on down! Watch out for gators and snakes!

I've never left Florida so I can't give you any better advice than that ;)

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think putting rocks in a bag could pop the bag you can get a tub from Walmart and use an air stone on a portable battery plug in to keep oxygen going the fish can go into a bucket of water at night dumping the bag water because it will be bad after first day and that night you can use air stone in bucket and have a 2nd bucket of water when you arrive that's clean. You could also go padding inside a bucket with super glue gel so they can travel in bucket. Usually when they ship fish they don't feed them the day before to prevent ammonia build up and use oxygen inside the bag. Without oxygen fish probably only have 6 hours or so.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a good LFS where you are moving. Ship fish to them and have them care for them until you get set up. They will earn your business.

ctcloan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a move from FL to MD and have a similar dilemma. I have moved my reef tank in Florida more than once and I put the live rock, corals, and fish into a sturdy garbage barrel that had wheels and rolled it into the Uhaul. I have also used totes, hooked up my battery bubblers and left the sand bed in the tank with a small amount of water in the tank and never had an issue. However, on this big move, I am torn as to how to do this. I am thinking I will use an inverter to power the air pumps/stones and I am debating on tossing the sand and starting new sand.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back