Moving 24 gallon reef

robert serafino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a reef from work to home should i keep the sand or put new in the tank is a 24 cube mixed reef i am useing all the old water and rock.
20210220_134001.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a huge amount of money on the line. here is a focused work thread on totally safe tank transfers.

involves all sand you might use, new or old, in the new tank to be 10000% rinsed before you set things back on top.

we use zero old sand from the current tank. not a scoop not a handful:

for sure its possible to abandon that and move old sand, many have. I specifically recommend you don't do that, with such a load of dollar sticks as

the customized ways don't come with that many logged moves, that rinse way above is safe tank to tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your general summary for that size tank is:

be draining the clean water part and move fish/ corals in it alone, not with live rock preferably or at least uncleaned live rock. moving any form of waste over is your risk, not any sort of lack of bacteria. this isn't a job for bottled bacteria most certainly, your live rock handles everything if its moved cloudlessly

when live rocks are avail for lifting out of tank, swish and swirl them in clean saltwater, even if its just tap water + dechlor and saltwater, set to match temp and salinity of your current setup. this ejects waste out of the pores, if any. set them aside for clean relocation

as your rocks are avail, be detailing any bad algae off them with a knife tip and a dot of peroxide on the spot after if you want it thorough all done outside the tank.

take the sand and either toss it or rinse it per the huge thread, in tap water, for hours if that's how long it takes to rinse clean. Any new sand you buy will need the same pre rinsing, though the bag says not to. the fifty pages does

once the sand is rinsed in tap cloudlessly, final rinse is RO to evacuate the tap. now you have cloudless sand and rocks to transfer. this applies to new sand you might buy, or old.

re set it all up, it'll be cloudless, add everything back in matching temp and salinity from the old tank only.

drop the light intensity down a week and ramp back up in the new tank.

*hundreds of people moved old sand, already agreeing in case someone wants you to do that mode. The above steps are simply condensed from the zero loss thread above, a recommend. pls take a ton of pics if you use this method we like adding nice after pics. that's a lot of time and coral and cash on the line.

* if you want no sand, bb, then set it up that way it still will not recycle. we ripped into the sand above to move no waste, its bacteria do not matter in anyone's tank they're expendable instantly, without ramp down time, we show above. about eighty of those jobs are total instant removals. live rock is so powerful it can simply carry many times over its current bioload with zero ramp up time. we use that science in every logged job.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back