Moving a sea urchin when doing a water change?

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always when I try to do a water change my sea urchin is on the glass somewhere close to the surface...
Most of the times I just wait with changing the water till the urchin moves down because I don't want him to get above water level.

How do you people deal with this problem? And is there a way to safely move it so I can do a waterchange? ;Playful
I have had a long spined urching before that walked away when I softly touched to spines with something, but that doesnt work with this tuxedo urchin.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought urchins were usually inter tidal animals. always saw them in videos of people tide pool hopping.

OP
OP
Michel

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo urchin. I’ve never worried about him being out of the water during a water change. He can move down the glass if he wants too.
I have heard/read multiple times that urchins can never go out of the water. Because once they get air in their mouth they can't get it out and die.

OP
OP
Michel

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure, but am following. I have similar problems with snails but am always too afraid to pluck them from the glass....
My snails always get above water level when I do a water change. I don't think it can harm them because they move out of the water themselves pretty often. And It has never seemed to hurt them.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back