Moving an XXL aquarium.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2016
Messages
2,750
Reaction score
5,733
Location
Mount Morris Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like I'm going to be getting a new to me (been running for a few years and currently still running) tank. Tank is acrylic, dimensions are 10'x3'x4' (LxWxH), and is coming with all the fish (multiple large angels, tangs, and triggers), equipment, everything. Owner is moving to Florida and is giving me the fish, tank, and all equipment.

Current plan is for me to move the fish first into holding tanks and settled, then once the tank is empty, to go back and move the tank and equipment (multiple loads) back to my house and get it set up and running as quickly as safely possible. This will be a multi-weekend project. I'm picking up the fish this weekend, and will be splitting them between a couple Rubbermaid stock tanks, 240g tank, my 47g, and a 40g breeder until the big tank is running and stable. I figured it's gonna take at least 6 people to move this tank, let alone all the life support equipment, hence moving the tank and stand into the house the day we pick it up, so I won't have to have a bunch of people help on 2 different occasions.

The tank is currently in a garage, so should be able to back up a trailer to it relatively easily to load it, and I've lined up some suction cup handles to borrow from the local acrylic tank manufacturer the day of the tank move. As far as unloading at my house, since the tank is too large to fit through any door, I'll be chopping down the tree in front of our living room this weekend, so we can back the trailer up to the XL front window and lift it through there directly into the room where the tank will sit.

Thankfully I'm on a concrete slab, so not overly concerned by the weight of the system, and the wall it will be going on backs up to a closet on the opposite side, where I can set up the life support equipment.

Since some of the fish are close to 18" or more in length, I'm planning on bringing a large rubber landing net to catch them, and will bring a few coolers with holes drilled for battery powered air pumps to provide extra oxygen during transport.

Any other tips or suggestions for moving a tank this large?
 
Rubber mats and towels to set the tank down on. I wonder if you could rig up rollers with like pool noodles and pvc piping to get in/out of the truck.

Suction cups are a great idea.

6 people may not be enough. Better to have too many than too few, especially for the pass through the window.

You didn't mention setup, but check your breaker rating for that area.
 
At least it's acrylic. I hired movers to help me with my 300 gallon glass tank and they said it was the hardest thing they'd had to move in a long time.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I don't have a lot to add. It'd be awesome if you could update with what you learned afterwards though. You know how it goes, no matter how much you plan there is always stuff you don't account for.
 
Rubber mats and towels to set the tank down on. I wonder if you could rig up rollers with like pool noodles and pvc piping to get in/out of the truck.

Suction cups are a great idea.

6 people may not be enough. Better to have too many than too few, especially for the pass through the window.

You didn't mention setup, but check your breaker rating for that area.
Gonna see if I can get 8 people, but not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Should have 2 circuits just for this system. I have enough room I can add 2 more to the panel if necessary, but hopefully gonna avoid that. Thankfully most of the electric is on the opposite side of the wall since the equipment will be in the closet on that side, which is running on it's own circuit and the only things currently running are a 36" led planted aquarium light (on a dart frog tank, so no other electrical) and a litter robot for the cats (which will both probably be moved).

Going to get the fish this Sunday!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new