Moving and what to do with my tanks?

Slinkthug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I go about and take my tanks with me and what about the water and sand.
Do I have to start over.

Tanks:
20 gallon reef tank
30 gallon long
40 gallon breeder
55 gallon

Will I loss any thing like water, sand , fish in the Process

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, mix up a bunch of water at the new place and get it ready, this way you can put stuff in containers, transfer and reput it in tanks. I would not use the same sand thou as mixing that all up will not be good.

justgotwet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the fish in a cooler to help keep the water warm . I also would get a battery operated air pump and air stone.

OP
OP
Slinkthug

Slinkthug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, mix up a bunch of water at the new place and get it ready, this way you can put stuff in containers, transfer and reput it in tanks. I would not use the same sand thou as mixing that all up will not be good.

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks

Good to know not to use the same sand Cus I was going to lol.

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I moved my 120 gallon tank last summer when I moved house. The biggest deciding factors would be whether you are getting to the new place by plane or whether you are driving there (and how long the drive is). If you're flying and your tank is not long established and you wouldn't be heartbroken about losing your current stock, you can sell things and buy on craigslist when you arrive.

But for what its worth, here's what I did, keeping in mind I only moved about 20 min away:

-Removed all equiptment
-Loaded all live rock without corals/anemones on them into two XL (new) Rubbermaid containers, which were moved down to my car on wheelie furniture carts (purchased at Lowes for about 20 bucks) down to my car (no water in those)
-Pumped enough water out of the tank to fill my 5 gallon buckets (with lids, from Petco) 3/4 the way full with current tank water. Loaded live rock with corals/nems on them, and caught all the fish once the rocks were gone and put them in there.
-Drained the rest of the water down to the sand (tossed this water)
-Scooped out a few cupfuls of sand to seed the new tank and added it to one of the buckets with the water. Tried to get as many snails/hermits out as possible.
-Threw out the rest of the sand (scooped out and put in trash bags)
-Move the tank itself to the car/truck

So then you start out at the new place with a decent amount of water, and add new fresh water to that when you get there (oceanparadise's suggestion of mixing some water ahead of time and having it ready is a good one, wish I had done that)

I did not use any portable powerheads but like I said, it was a very short trip, so they were back in the tank within the hour.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Slinkthug

Slinkthug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I want to know this is Cus I will be moving In like a year or two or maybe sooner but I would like to get some ideas on how to do it right. Cus I'm new to this saltwater world and loving it.

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then you start out at the new place with a decent amount of water, and add new fresh water to that when you get there (oceanparadise's suggestion of mixing some water ahead of time and having it ready is a good one, wish I had done that)

Sorry meant to say new freshly MADE water, as in newly mixed saltwater... not actual freshwater

OP
OP
Slinkthug

Slinkthug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I moved my 120 gallon tank last summer when I moved house. The biggest deciding factors would be whether you are getting to the new place by plane or whether you are driving there (and how long the drive is). If you're flying and your tank is not long established and you wouldn't be heartbroken about losing your current stock, you can sell things and buy on craigslist when you arrive.

But for what its worth, here's what I did, keeping in mind I only moved about 20 min away:

-Removed all equiptment
-Loaded all live rock without corals/anemones on them into two XL (new) Rubbermaid containers, which were moved down to my car on wheelie furniture carts (purchased at Lowes for about 20 bucks) down to my car (no water in those)
-Pumped enough water out of the tank to fill my 5 gallon buckets (with lids, from Petco) 3/4 the way full with current tank water. Loaded live rock with corals/nems on them, and caught all the fish once the rocks were gone and put them in there.
-Drained the rest of the water down to the sand (tossed this water)
-Scooped out a few cupfuls of sand to seed the new tank and added it to one of the buckets with the water. Tried to get as many snails/hermits out as possible.
-Threw out the rest of the sand (scooped out and put in trash bags)
-Move the tank itself to the car/truck

I did not use any portable powerheads but like I said, it was a very short trip, so they were back in the tank within the hour.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey thanks for the advice very helpful thanks again.
P.s. I hope to move one floor down

justgotwet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are moving from one floor to another i do not think you will need the air pump but they come in handy when the power goes out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back