moving corals to a new tank

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the near fuiture, i will be setting up a larger aquarium. obviously, i will need to cycle that aquarium, and am on the fence on which way i will cycle, but that is neither here, nor there at the moment. i will cycle the longer ghost feeding, or bottled bacteria way.
anywho, i have 3 corals that i will be moving over; a small frag of zoas, a 4 headed frag of hammer coral, and a small clove polyp. i hear many times that corals are best, if not suggested to only be within an established tank that has been up and running for months. so, my question is, if i get this tank up and running, with all new rock, substrate, etc., my assumption would be that i should let the tank establish (if everything i read on coral threads is true), or is it safe to move corals to a completely new setup, assuming that parameters are similar or the same?

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be using any of the established live rock from your existing system to help speed up cycle time?
likely, no. the thought at the moment at least, is to use all new rock. i may be using 2 small to medium size rocks, but nothing more than that. nothing that would make a substantial difference anyway. the largest thing to establish something will be to use bottled bacteria with at least one rock just bigger than the size of a softball, and 1 maybe the size of a baseball.
ps. i will be going from a 20g to a 65, so i need more rock to begin with, but i plan on doing like an NSA type of rock setup, so i will have to use mostly new rock for this. also, when i get the other tank setup, i will not be in a rush to get it going, so if i have to wait for the tank to cycle, i will. i just wasnt sure that after the nitrogen cycle to complete, if things need more time to actually be ready for coral, or if they are safe right away after everything is cycled

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back