Vacuuming sand and moving corals

lunasedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my first post here!

I’m new in the hobby and have set up my new aquarium late last year.
I bought the setup second hand with a with sand bag (last 3rd of the package) and many rocks that were left in the sun.
I’ve made a few mistakes that I only realised now.

#1 -- I used the final 1/3 of a sandbag and just put everything in the tank without rinsing it first. So now a have a lot of this very thin powder under the gravel and some areas of the tank, any movement makes the water a bit cloudy

#2 -- I regret the arrangement of the rocks, because there are too many areas with minimal light.

The tank is fairly new and I have added on average 2 corals a week after cycling.
I’m planning to re-do the aquascape and vacuum the bottom to remove the thin sand. Is it ok do these changes right now and then let the corals grow or should I wait for the tank to mature? I read that disturbing the sand could cause be harmful for the beneficial bacteria?

I'll have to remove all the corals and glue them back again as the new scape will be different.

Tank:

• Tank was set-up October 2023 with dry sand and rock
  • Cycled with the shrimp technique + Tim’s Bacteria bottle
  • 1cm or less than 1/2 inch of sand
  • 50G + roller mat.
  • A lot of the ceramic balls in my sump since day 1
  • Refugium with chaeto was added this week.
  • No ugly stage so far, some diatoms that was controlled by GFO. I got a second hand RODI so I think it isn’t working greatly. Plus the water in my city is known to have lots of silicates
  • Livestock: 3 small fishes, and 15 corals frags LPS/SOFT, 3 snails, 1 peppermint shrimp
  • Water parameters are under control, I’m having to use GFO a bit to remove the silica

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Study this for all sand info

It's a nine year thread focusing solely on your challenge, welcome to the board!

You can see in the thread rinsing sand doesn't impact coral growth.

You will also see that sandbed bacteria aren't needed in reefing. This is all very new info which is why it doesn't match what you read about sandbed bacteria being important

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back