Moving corals without bringing bubble algae

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am moving over my corals minus the rockwork from my old tank to my newer tank.

The main concern is avoiding introducing bubble algae from my old tank to the new one. Has anyone ever done this before?

I have new rockwork and its all cycled and ready to go. What is the best method to remove bubble algae on the corals and to not introduce spores? Is there a product that will dessimate it without damaging the corals?

Keep in kind the bubble algae is not rampid but its a good amount.

Thanks for the help.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting an emerald crab for take care of any bubble algae.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny syringe filled with peroxide and an scalpel. The single bubble algae most of us experience in the hobby is unicellular. And bits and pieces of it can start new organisms.

Fwiw It’s virtually impossible to not introduce unicellular algae. Some varieties can survive in spore form in the atmosphere for months, And are introduced from the air. Algae blooms in a tank or or the ocean are a breakdown in resource competition systems.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clip them at the base and rinse in a container of saltwater before placement in the new tank. If you want to be even more sure, you can utilize a quarantine tank for observation between transfer.
This is probably the best approach (with quarantine) but still not a guarantee!

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Manually remove anything that is visible without breaking bubbles. Place the corals in a QT tank for up to 3-6 mos. if possible. If you do accidentally get bubble algae in the main tank, I have found Vibrant to be the best way to remove it. Works like a charm. Dose every other week initially for up to 10 weeks and then weekly if the algae is still present. It will eventually disappear.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back