Moving, live rock dip?

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’ve only been keeping saltwater for a year and I am moving. I could use your help and knowledge.
so I’ve had my zoas closed up for about a month and a half and won’t open no matter how many water changes I do.
At first I though it was because I was doing a water change every 2 weeks but every week still isn’t enough and my zoas are on my main live rock.
so my question is when I move should I start new and dip my corals with new dry rock and keep fish and coral in a tub? (I would cut the plugs of the live rock and just use those zoas)
Or can I dip my currently live rock for pests?
I believe I have zoas pets because it’s only certain heads that have been closed.
I’d love to know your thoughts?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull a chunk of zoas off and dip them if you really think there is a pest. Then if the pest falls off maybe we can id it.
I usually advise against ditching live rock for new dry since your beneficial bacteria has been building on those rocks for a year already and it would be a shame to lose that progress.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case it isn't a pest can you tell us about your tank? Did you use dry or live rock? Parameters? What kind of Lighting? What other corals do you have? How are they?

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull a chunk of zoas off and dip them if you really think there is a pest. Then if the pest falls off maybe we can id it.
I usually advise against ditching live rock for new dry since your beneficial bacteria has been building on those rocks for a year already and it would be a shame to lose that progress.
In case it isn't a pest can you tell us about your tank? Did you use dry or live rock? Parameters? What kind of Lighting? What other corals do you have? How are they?

+1 on all of these! Great questions and let us know so we can provide our input!

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright sorry for the late reply but I wanted to wait till after I moved. I dipped 4 zoa kinds that were closed up and that I actually could remove because they hadn’t grown on the main rock. All for did not have a pest come off. I went to check the water with my refractometer and realized that it was off so I calibrated it. I’m wondering if maybe it’s been off for as long as my zoas have closed and only the one zoa and some of my other corals adjusted? Either way I fixed that and also realized I was mixing my salt wrong for a year.. Red Sea coral pro recommended 30minutes-3hrs of mixing time which I was doing at least 24hrs if not 1 week which caused my ph and alk to be off. I’m hoping now with those 2 fixed the zoas will start to open back up.
As for my lighting I’m running a hydra 26HD with ab+ setting dimmed down to 25% tops for blue and other colours following respectively. I used to be running a made up one with the top blues being 25%. I am nervous about the UV being at 20% though because wouldn’t that promote algae? If someone has a better recommendation I’m all ears.
I have Acans, hammers, frogspawn, Favia, Duncan which all are happy! When I started my tank I used live rock from a tank shut down.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright sorry for the late reply but I wanted to wait till after I moved. I dipped 4 zoa kinds that were closed up and that I actually could remove because they hadn’t grown on the main rock. All for did not have a pest come off. I went to check the water with my refractometer and realized that it was off so I calibrated it. I’m wondering if maybe it’s been off for as long as my zoas have closed and only the one zoa and some of my other corals adjusted? Either way I fixed that and also realized I was mixing my salt wrong for a year.. Red Sea coral pro recommended 30minutes-3hrs of mixing time which I was doing at least 24hrs if not 1 week which caused my ph and alk to be off. I’m hoping now with those 2 fixed the zoas will start to open back up.
As for my lighting I’m running a hydra 26HD with ab+ setting dimmed down to 25% tops for blue and other colours following respectively. I used to be running a made up one with the top blues being 25%. I am nervous about the UV being at 20% though because wouldn’t that promote algae? If someone has a better recommendation I’m all ears.
I have Acans, hammers, frogspawn, Favia, Duncan which all are happy! When I started my tank I used live rock from a tank shut down.

Good calls on revisiting those basic but essential parameters! Hopefully with properly mixed salt and a calibrated refractometer, they will open soon!

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good calls on revisiting those basic but essential parameters! Hopefully with properly mixed salt and a calibrated refractometer, they will open soon!
Thanks I’ll give you an update in 2 weeks to see if anything has changed

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PTXReef Been a little longer than two weeks lol but everything was going good until dinos came back.... Now I have to battle Dino's for a second time. The worst part is, they started to bloom right before I left for a week. So now I am headed back to hopefully no coral dead? all media had been removed to raise levels before I left so hopefully that had helped.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back