Moving my 3 year old tank….

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So I’m moving to my new house so moving my tank (three years old Red Sea AIO 34 gal). Do I need to use new (live) sand or can I rinse and reuse my current sand?

Thank you!

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haft to wash any sand when doing a upgrade/ transfer. So you can buy new sand, wash it and put it in or scoop out old sand after you got fish and stuff out and wash it then put it in new tank.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did anything with the sand the two times I moved my 40g. Maybe I missed something I was supposed to do, but I saw no ill effects either time.

Following to see others thoughts.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did anything with the sand the two times I moved my 40g. Maybe I missed something I was supposed to do, but I saw no ill effects either time.

Following to see others thoughts.
You might have got lucky or all the fish crap that got kicked up got skimmed out. That's the reason pepole wash sand.
So you don't get a big ammonia spike.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have got lucky or all the fish crap that got kicked up got skimmed out. That's the reason pepole wash sand.
So you don't get a big ammonia spike.

That makes sense. I always drained the water down just low enough to cover the sand. The tank didn't move far, probably 10 minutes the first time and 30 minutes the second time. No skimmer as it's an AIO. I was siphoning my sand regularly at the time though, so I probably didn't have as much gunk in the sand. I think the tank was about a year old for the first move and about 2 years old for the second move, so maybe the young age of the tank had something to do with it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back