Moving out of state

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'll be moving out of state at the end of the year.
Conceivably, I could move the tank and equipment with me, but is this practical ?
Obviously can't take the livestock with me.
My realtor has suggested leaving the tank (Red Sea 350 Reefer, APEX, dual DOS, chiller, auto feeder, Carbon Reactor, Regal 200s Skimmer, 5 stage Reverse Osmosis system with dual 55 gal reservoirs) and selling it with the house.
Any suggestions ?
Robert

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always moved my tanks when I relocated. But the bigger they get, the more I fantasize about upgrading. To make the move easier on my live stock.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved once with a tank and I killed most of the inhabitants. There will be people tell you they did it successfully (and I'm sure they did) but for livestock it isn't worth the hassle and risk IMO.
As for leaving the tank I think it would take a special buyer to want to start a new hobby when buying a house. If you like the tank I'd take it with you, just sale the livestock before going. If you're wanting a new/bigger tank then try selling with the house and using the money to fund a new build.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved once with a tank and I killed most of the inhabitants. There will be people tell you they did it successfully (and I'm sure they did) but for livestock it isn't worth the hassle and risk IMO.
As for leaving the tank I think it would take a special buyer to want to start a new hobby when buying a house. If you like the tank I'd take it with you, just sale the livestock before going. If you're wanting a new/bigger tank then try selling with the house and using the money to fund a new build.
I’m really curious how this happens, I’ve always moved my tank and used the same sand, never had a loss in coral anemone fish or inverts, fingers crossed. Once I moved from Colorado to California about 17hr drive and we all made it

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really curious how this happens, I’ve always moved my tank and used the same sand, never had a loss in coral anemone fish or inverts, fingers crossed. Once I moved from Colorado to California about 17hr drive and we all made it
LOL I moved 10 minutes away and killed almost everything.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't sell it with the house. There is no face value for your tank in the home selling price. Your tank is considered an accessory and not a home improvement that will add a selling price value!! How I know you might ask?? I tried to do that once and was strongly advised against it by a realtor friend!

If I were you. I would sell live stock and aquarium and keep the equipment ( Neptune/ dos ect..) since you will use them regardless if you upgrade to a bigger tank or down size to a smaller one.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've done it both ways. I've moved a reef tank in the middle of winter and had zero heater, etc. I thought everything would die, but it didn't. All made it just fine.

The second time I was moving out of state and it was a Saturday evening and we finished moving to the other state around midnight Saturday. Long story short, I was exhausted and we even had movers. Inhad to be back at work (new job) that Monday. I was so tired, I couldn't imagine driving back, breaking down the tank and livestock (60 cube) and moving it all in one day. Impossible probably. I also had another tank, a 25 gallon Solana cube.

The movers showed interest and I agreed to GIVE the entire setup to them just to get it out of the house before Monday. I look back on that with deep regret as I had a pretty good tank and some amazing gear.

I gave away about 30 grand that day in tanks, corals, equipment, RO/DI, Apex, Kessils, you name it.

I JUST decided to get back into it this year after an 8 year hiatus. Well, I went out and bought everything new. It cost me aboht the same amount as I gave away......

So yea, if you sell it with the house two things:

1) Make sure you get your money out of it, at least mostly.

2) This is a tough one, all your fish, corals, etc. say goodbye to them before you go. Most people have 0 idea how to care for fish, especially not saltwater and certainly not a reef.

Good luck and choose what is best for your mental and physical health. Best wishes with the move!

J-o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to make the same move. I have a 32 gallon Biocube. How exactly did you do it? I have a lot of coral that is attached to the live rock. I was thinking of separating the fish and the rock when transporting. Any advice is appreciated.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to make the same move. I have a 32 gallon Biocube. How exactly did you do it? I have a lot of coral that is attached to the live rock. I was thinking of separating the fish and the rock when transporting. Any advice is appreciated.
I removed all my coral from the rock. The anemones were hard because I had to break the rock to do it. I placed the rock in buckets and covered them with sand and put the lids on the buckets. I double bagged all the coral and fish, then placed them in those white insulated containers that they use to ship coral or big shipments of frozen food. I don’t remember exactly where I put all the snail but I think a lot of snails went in with the sand. I reused a lot of the same water.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of coolers/buckets, battery powered air pumps, extra saltwater mixed up.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done another move with more rock and less sand so I had the rock in a brute trash with water from tank. The sand went into a separate bucket so I don’t think it matters. If your going to use new water just let it oxygenate for a while before adding thing things to it. That should help against ph swings

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
99.999% of people are going to consider a SW aquarium (or any aquarium) that 'comes with' the house as a nuisance. Sell all the livestock or the whole system and start over or figure out the logistics of moving the system.
I would agree with this. Makes a move much easier.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back