Moving soon, now what?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I had a long discussion this past weekend. We are both miserable in Wisconsin and hate the weather. We decided we will be moving to 1 of 4 warm weather states. Our lease is up in August, but, we may be able to get out earlier. This past year I got a remote job that allows me to work anywhere in the world, so I’d like to take advantage of this!

Anyways, now the question is around the tank. I’ve already decided I’m not going to try moving the livestock, so will sell at some point.

My main question is, would you sell tank and equipment too? And start over with new setup later? Or, my thought was to keep tank and equipment which would make an easier setup process later. Just wanted input. Thanks!

#wiscoreefers

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved to SC January of late year from Illinois. I sold off the tank, stand and sump. I kept all of the lights, spare pump, top off, heaters etc. most everything to start a new tank sans, the tank and stand. I did not want to bother moving the glass or livestock. Moving into the new house in a couple of weeks, finalizing the tank choice as we speak. Good luck…

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are moving, some of us are just to stubborn too leave…LOL

Depends on what you want to do in the hobby. Would be a good time to up grade, you could keep what you can reuse and sell the rest. If starting new and you have some overlap at both locations you might be able to set up new and then take live stock. Lots of options to think about while it is still cold out….it will help keep you warm. LOL

What are the location choices? Not too many where there isn’t some form of hazardous weather.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me if things are 2 years plus old I would probably sell and buy new. I would sell tank but keep most of the and find another tank cause I would not want to move the glass. But if you would have the funds to start completely over I would.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are moving, some of us are just to stubborn too leave…LOL

Depends on what you want to do in the hobby. Would be a good time to up grade, you could keep what you can reuse and sell the rest. If starting new and you have some overlap at both locations you might be able to set up new and then take live stock. Lots of options to think about while it is still cold out….it will help keep you warm. LOL

What are the location choices? Not too many where there isn’t some form of hazardous weather.
I'm curious what the choices are too. Any east/gulf coast area is gonna have hurricanes...any west coast area is gonna have wildfires and fresh water access issues. Maybe the New Mexico/Arizona area? The desert southwest is certainly beautiful. I personally love the variation in seasons we get here in WI (as well as the lower risk of natural disaster), but I certainly know that winter isn't for everyone.

As far as the tank goes, I think it depends what your new home is like compared to your current home. If your current tank will fit the new space well, I wouldn't completely rule out keeping it...moving it would be a pain, but buying new would be expensive. If it doesn't fit the new space well, it's a perfect time to upgrade to your dream tank!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an after thought about moving an aquarium. If your moving yourself and the aquarium is large probably want to consider not moving the tank. If hiring a moving company than move the tank, the entire Move should be insured.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experiences with paid movers i would not move the tank unless i could cost effectively move it myself. Too easy for things to go wrong. The time and effort it took me to finally get reimbursed for damaged items eliminated the benefit of hiring movers.

I would keep the equipment. You can pack it well and have little chance of damage and in my opinion worthwhile rather than sell used at a steep discount only to soon buy new at a premium.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back