Moving tank nightmare

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I thought I would talk a bit about my most recent moving experience. I had a 135g in my old house. Mostly LPS and softies, a few SPS. I bought a new home and wanted to upgrade to a 180 for my living room. I got a new RR Marineland with stand....looks awesome. My plan was to set up the tank and right before the move, transfer the livestock. (Same city) after setting the tank up I realized that it wasn't level. About 1/4 side to side and a tiny bit front to back.

I didn't want to shim as I didn't want to mess with the pressure points on such a large tank.....I was moving the next day and I knew I couldn't fill this thing up.....I was really stressed as I was selling my old house in a few days and needed to get all the livestock out....(I didn't want to re set up the old tank as it would have been too difficult)

I decided to get a 150g rubbermaid stock tank....I drove about 40 mins to Tractor Supply and picked one up....I used Teflon tape and really screwed the bulkhead in tight.....what do you know, it leaked. I tried to seal it up with silicone, still leaked. I only had 2 days until I sell the house.

I went back the TS and exchanged it for another. This time I did the same and really covered everything with silicone and then waited 24 hours and filled it up. Still leaked. I had nowhere to put my livestock and I am closing tomorrow and need to get it out.

I ended up using my QT for the fish, a20 long I picked up at Petsmart for the LPS and a big brute for 200 lbs + of coral and a ton of softies.

I knew this wouldn't last long as they didn't have light not much flow and small amounts of water.....

A few days later I went back to TS and exchanged it again. This time I used epoxy all over the bulkhead and siliconed the inside. No leakes! This is where they are now and can stay while I figure how to level my aquarium.

I have fake wood linoleum... I'm thinking to remove some of the boards under the tank, lay plastic and pour some level cement....I think this will be easiest. But I'm in no rush.....as they could probably thrive in the rubbermaid for quite a while.

Pics below.

IMG_20150904_143749.jpg

IMG_20151101_121846.jpg

IMG_20150904_143749.jpg

IMG_20151101_121900.jpg

IMG_20150904_143749.jpg

IMG_20151101_121846.jpg

IMG_20150904_143749.jpg

IMG_20151101_121900.jpg

IMG_20151101_121910.jpg

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a mess. Glad you're able to stay sane.

Just do not forget the imminent cycle you will get when you put everything back into the new place. You may want to get an Ammonia Alert for your current storage tanks as well.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a mess. Glad you're able to stay sane.

Just do not forget the imminent cycle you will get when you put everything back into the new place. You may want to get an Ammonia Alert for your current storage tanks as well.

Thanks. There won't be a noticeable cycle....used the same rock

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI i had put 3 cleaner shrimp and a few LPS corals in my QT with no issue.

Tank, bio filter, heater and powerhead were all used with copper.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back