Moving tank

reefer10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am going to be moving my tank soon. It we not be a long distance at all, so would be back up relatively short amount of time. I will be wrapping all my live rock in wet newspaper to preserve as much bacteria as possible. I have about 60lbs. of live sand in a 75 gal. that I am getting rid of. I do have fish in the tank as well. I am wondering if I need to buy a product like BioSpira or something to make up for the bacteria loss from taking out the sand. Also, if I add dry sand when I set back up can that cause my tank to cycle again even though I am using my original live rock from said tank? Or should I go bare bottom and slowly add sand? If you guys reccommend a bacteria what is the best bacteria additive? Thank you so very much for any help!

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's going to cycle any way you go maybe not as much as a new tank but it will cycle. if you have coral i would try to have a friend keep your coral for a while.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved many tanks without issue. Place rock in totes and keep wet. use about 1/2 old water and 1/2 new water. I have never replaced sand but have always washed my old sand before adding it back to system with no problems.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved many tanks without issue. Place rock in totes and keep wet. use about 1/2 old water and 1/2 new water. I have never replaced sand but have always washed my old sand before adding it back to system with no problems.

Same here. Save as much of your old water as possible and you shouldn't have a big cycle. Don't add any " bacterial" products. They are snake oil IMO.

OP
OP
R

reefer10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you properly wash sand? Some of my sand in areas is about 4" deep and prob. has pockets of not good stuff. WAill washing my sand get rid of all the not good stuff? Thanks for the help guys!

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to bump this thread for the question above. Will be washing my used sand full of cyano dynos And FWs if I wash it with the hose do I need to rinse it in ro. Water before putting in the tank? And should I add the sand before or after the dry rock cycles in the tank?

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not re-use old sand. Even after "washing" it. I have always bought new sand when I have moved tanks. There is too much detritus and other "junk" in the sand that may or may not be taken out and then the good bacterium will most likely be killed off by "hosing" the sand off. So what would be the point of putting that sand back into a system?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back