Moving, thoughts on drying rock out

bolson

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2021
Messages
52
Reaction score
18
Location
hayward
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving from CA to TX and stopping for a week in Vegas. I have a 20 gallon that’s been running for almost two years. Fighting bubble algea and aiptasia. Thoughts on tossing the sand and drying out the rock? Would the water be fine sitting in jugs for two weeks before the tank is up and running again? I have two clowns and a Halloween urchin I would be trying to keep. Will they be ok to go back in the tank or is the tank basically going to have to recycle?
thanks for the help!
 
Moving from CA to TX and stopping for a week in Vegas. I have a 20 gallon that’s been running for almost two years. Fighting bubble algea and aiptasia. Thoughts on tossing the sand and drying out the rock? Would the water be fine sitting in jugs for two weeks before the tank is up and running again? I have two clowns and a Halloween urchin I would be trying to keep. Will they be ok to go back in the tank or is the tank basically going to have to recycle?
thanks for the help!
Personally what I would do is keep some rock with the water and fish just enough to give some filtering benefits. Then once you settle down dry out half of it at a time. Once the first half is completely dry scrub it then return it to the tank then dry out the second half. Recycling the tank won’t be necessary you might see a tiny ammonia spike just make sure you add some carbon to keep it down.
 
How about buying some bio media to seed from your tank. It can easily be kept with the fish for that amount of time. It should help with any cycling worries.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new