MP10 or MP40 to replace Nero5 on 3ft (50 gal) tank)?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Waterbox 50.3 AIO (3ft tank) and I have had 2 Neros (one 3 and one 5) running on either side of the tank. Pretty happy with flow in my mixed reef. Nothing too crazy but turbulent when they collide over my SPS in the middle.

The Nero3 runs most of the time 10-50% random flow. The Nero5 runs 1-30% random flow.

I am looking to replace the Nero 5 and was looking to get an MP10 or MP40. I would lean to the 40 since the Nero5 is closer to that, but since I only use the Nero5 at most 30% power, would I be able to get away with a 10? Or should I just go 40 and run it low like I have been doing with the Nero5?

Heavily stocked mixed reef with sand. Also is the MP10/40 a direct flow or wider flow? I do like the wide flow of the Nero's but trying to get the cables out of my tank

Thanks!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mp40, mp10 and Nero 5s. I would go mp40 over the 10 any day. You can always run it lower as needed. The 10 are OK but I wouldn't run them in anything larger than a 2ft cube. Magnets are kind of weak also. I've never compared the mp to the Nero side by side but I feel the mp40 has a pretty wide flow. It's definately not a concentrated stream. I run 3 mp40 on a 6ft 180g mixed reef, 2 on one end and 1 on the other.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have mp40, mp10 and Nero 5s. I would go mp40 over the 10 any day. You can always run it lower as needed. The 10 are OK but I wouldn't run them in anything larger than a 2ft cube. Magnets are kind of weak also. I've never compared the mp to the Nero side by side but I feel the mp40 has a pretty wide flow. It's definately not a concentrated stream. I run 3 mp40 on a 6ft 180g mixed reef, 2 on one end and 1 on the other.
I was leaning toward the MP40, just a little bit of a sticker shock for me lol and it would be a bit more future proofed as I plan to upgrade to a larger tank once I move to a larger home.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to keep my Nero3 so I dont think I need 2x MP10s, also dont want to spend $700 on pumps at the moment :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Probably a wise decision. I have 4 Nero 5s that I bought within the last few months but because I hate mobius not because of cost, which is excessive IMO. I have 8 ecotech device's but they are old enough that I'm not forced to use mobius.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably a wise decision. I have 4 Nero 5s that I bought within the last few months but because I hate mobius not because of cost, which is excessive IMO. I have 8 ecotech device's but they are old enough that I'm not forced to use mobius.
yeah not looking forward to that onboarding process... heard it was all a nightmare

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 50.3 AIO (3ft tank) and I have had 2 Neros (one 3 and one 5) running on either side of the tank. Pretty happy with flow in my mixed reef. Nothing too crazy but turbulent when they collide over my SPS in the middle.

The Nero3 runs most of the time 10-50% random flow. The Nero5 runs 1-30% random flow.

I am looking to replace the Nero 5 and was looking to get an MP10 or MP40. I would lean to the 40 since the Nero5 is closer to that, but since I only use the Nero5 at most 30% power, would I be able to get away with a 10? Or should I just go 40 and run it low like I have been doing with the Nero5?

Heavily stocked mixed reef with sand. Also is the MP10/40 a direct flow or wider flow? I do like the wide flow of the Nero's but trying to get the cables out of my tank

Thanks!
Mp40 100%

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 40 as you can always turn it down.
That said take a serious look at Jebao ow-40's. 2 for $150 and the controller is, imo, better than the Tunze I run.
I have these running for 5 years now and run ow-10,25,and 40's.
Plus spares in the closet which I only needed one controller replaced in that time frame.
I run 6 across 3 systems.
I run 2 ow-40's and 2 Tunze 6095's in my 80 growout system. The Jebaos have performed as well as the Tunze and are still rockin.
I can run whatever I want dollar wise and after a few years I will only use the Jebaos if I ever need to get new ones.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to circle back around but I’m just afraid that if I have an MP40 with my Fuji pink substrate, I’ll never have it leave like 1% power. Like I initially had a Nero 5 in my 15gal Fluval

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to circle back around but I’m just afraid that if I have an MP40 with my Fuji pink substrate, I’ll never have it leave like 1% power. Like I initially had a Nero 5 in my 15gal Fluval
Exactly why I removed my Fiji pink mix and replaced it with special grade in my 24"x20" tank with two Nero 5s on the back wall. It's sps dominant tho so I need the flow.
If you don't need the flow and like the Figi pink I wouldn't spend the coin on vortechs unless you went with MP10s. I ran two on the same tank mentioned above for several years and they worked fine. The only reason I switched Nero 5s is because I changed everything in the tank and went sps. If I didn't have such dislike for mobius I would have gone mp40 but the Neros work fine for half the price and no mobius to deal with.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly why I removed my Fiji pink mix and replaced it with special grade in my 24"x20" tank with two Nero 5s on the back wall. It's sps dominant tho so I need the flow.
If you don't need the flow and like the Figi pink I wouldn't spend the coin on vortechs unless you went with MP10s. I ran two on the same tank mentioned above for several years and they worked fine. The only reason I switched Nero 5s is because I changed everything in the tank and went sps. If I didn't have such dislike for mobius I would have gone mp40 but the Neros work fine for half the price and no mobius to deal with.
Apparently the MP MQD 10/40/60 work with the MyAI app which I use for my lights (AI Blades) and pumps. Hopefully I don’t need to use the mobius app and I have had good success with the MyAI app https://www.aquaillumination.com/app

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the MP MQD 10/40/60 work with the MyAI app which I use for my lights (AI Blades) and pumps
Hmm. will have to check that out. I use the myai app and am comfortable with it. I knew you could run Ai stuff on mobius but had not heard of it working the other way. I have some stuff laying around so I'll upgrade one to Mobius and play around.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm. will have to check that out. I use the myai app and am comfortable with it. I knew you could run Ai stuff on mobius but had not heard of it working the other way. I have some stuff laying around so I'll upgrade one to Mobius and play around.
Yeah haven’t seen many people mention it, wonder if it has the same modes and settings as the Möbius in terms of flow patterns etc.. would be great if I could counter sync it with my Nero 3

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the MP40s and you will wake up one day and find zoas growing on them.

Attachments

• 20230815_151624.jpg
    20230815_151624.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 45

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Waterbox and use a Maxspect jump 2000 mounted vertically in one corner, and a pulsing jebao in the opposite corner.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back