Mp40 placement on a new 150 build

NateRen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a new 150 build going from a 75 gal. Currently have two MP40 on either side on the 75g. I’m thinking of having the MP40 mounted on the back wall of the 150. Has anyone tried this and how was the water movement?

IMG_8142.jpeg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put them on the sides just like your 75gal. And then think about a 3rd(or another power head), on the back wall.

But could depend on your structure…

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all 4 of my pumps on the back wall.....two up high in the corners and two almost at ground level. Just strategically place them so the flow is moving between (or slightly above) rock formations.

OP
OP
NateRen

NateRen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all 4 of my pumps on the back wall.....two up high in the corners and two almost at ground level. Just strategically place them so the flow is moving between (or slightly above) rock formations.
With only two right now. With your experience. You think the back wall would work ok?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only two right now. With your experience. You think the back wall would work ok?
Only two will be pretty spread out in a 150, but with the addition of your returns (and assuming you aren't looking for crazy flow), it should be fine. It is nice having everything on the back wall so the side walls are free from any wires/devices. I would recommend adding some smaller pumps towards the back/bottom though eventually to keep the bottom clean and push detritus up towards the overflow (especially if you go BB).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my MP40s on the back and two gyres; one in either end.

OP
OP
NateRen

NateRen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only two will be pretty spread out in a 150, but with the addition of your returns (and assuming you aren't looking for crazy flow), it should be fine. It is nice having everything on the back wall so the side walls are free from any wires/devices. I would recommend adding some smaller pumps towards the back/bottom though eventually to keep the bottom clean and push detritus up towards the overflow (especially if you go BB).
Thanks I appreciate the advice. I figured with the MP40’s cranked up a bit they could move some water. I was thinking with the flow deflecting off the front glass it would sweep up detritus off the sand bed..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back