Mp40 placement/setting 5ft 130 display mixed reef

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve been running this setup for over a year now and I can’t seem to get some sps happy. I know this is a loaded question and everything is relative to my setup. I don’t know if I’m blasting some with too much flow, if my positioning is less than ideal. Any suggestions welcome. Previously was just running them all on the George pillas config. Thinking I probably need to adjust it to fit my needs better. All are mp40s. I on each side and 2 on the back mounted about mid height. Open to flow and positioning suggestions.

IMG_3053.jpg IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3055.jpg

E.R.A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ratzy82,

I think more INDIRECT water flow might be needed. As you know some SPS are harder to keep than others. That in mind, what SPS in particle are you looking to grow out? I personally would maybe check your water column and see if you need more nutrients or less of specific ones. If you have good success with other SPS and other coral maybe its more a specific parameter for SPS.

Keep in mind we are trying to make an ocean in a tank... we mix coral that are from very different parts of the world.

I think BFS has a good article on growing SPS I know its basic but its a good thing to reference.

Respectfully,

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ratzy82,

I think more INDIRECT water flow might be needed. As you know some SPS are harder to keep than others. That in mind, what SPS in particle are you looking to grow out? I personally would maybe check your water column and see if you need more nutrients or less of specific ones. If you have good success with other SPS and other coral maybe its more a specific parameter for SPS.

Keep in mind we are trying to make an ocean in a tank... we mix coral that are from very different parts of the world.

I think BFS has a good article on growing SPS I know its basic but its a good thing to reference.

Respectfully,
It's odd I have some acro's that are growing fine, then I have the green slimer which isn't extending very much. Also a rainbow mili that doesn't extend or grow at all. The mili is right next to the purple acro which is fully extended. Maybe I need to move my mp40's higher and not blast the green slimer? I have quite a bit of rock so that is deflecting and diverting a lot of the flow. Right now all the mp40s are at 50% on reefcrest. Gonna fiddle with this a bit and see if I can get some things popping out a little more. All my levels are pretty good.
-Nitrates 4, Phos .04, Mag 1450, Calc 450, alk 9.2. Dosing all for reef.

E.R.A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd I have some acro's that are growing fine, then I have the green slimer which isn't extending very much. Also a rainbow mili that doesn't extend or grow at all. The mili is right next to the purple acro which is fully extended. Maybe I need to move my mp40's higher and not blast the green slimer? I have quite a bit of rock so that is deflecting and diverting a lot of the flow. Right now all the mp40s are at 50% on reefcrest. Gonna fiddle with this a bit and see if I can get some things popping out a little more. All my levels are pretty good.
-Nitrates 4, Phos .04, Mag 1450, Calc 450, alk 9.2. Dosing all for reef.
That is great. Seems like you are doing well. if you have time maybe sit and watch the healthy ones. Maybe they are sending small tendrils out and stinging. just a thought. Maybe a animal likes to hang out on them? I am leaning towards the very small tendrils if the tank is very healthy. Have you done a par check for lighting and match each one?

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great. Seems like you are doing well. if you have time maybe sit and watch the healthy ones. Maybe they are sending small tendrils out and stinging. just a thought. Maybe a animal likes to hang out on them? I am leaning towards the very small tendrils if the tank is very healthy. Have you done a par check for lighting and match each one?
I am adding another Kessil, as the par seems a bit on the low side. I think 200ish right on top. I have 3 at the moment, but I would think 200 would be fine for the mili? They are also spaced out far enough to where nothing is touching? Tthere are so many factors. Hard to nail down something. Then it seems like once I get one happy the other struggles. Such is the life of a mixed reef I suppose. I'll def check out that video. I watch a lot of BRS stuff.

E.R.A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding another Kessil, as the par seems a bit on the low side. I think 200ish right on top. I have 3 at the moment, but I would think 200 would be fine for the mili? They are also spaced out far enough to where nothing is touching? Tthere are so many factors. Hard to nail down something. Then it seems like once I get one happy the other struggles. Such is the life of a mixed reef I suppose. I'll def check out that video. I watch a lot of BRS stuff.
BRS video on par. I loved it for getting this part down. You are very right with the environment of a reef tank. Do Not get discouraged though. Its what makes it great.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried all on the back wall? Doing opposite tops to the bottoms. Should create a random flow just don't have them point directly at a coral.
You may have to raise the bottom once they don't blow your sand everywhere.

Screenshot_20240104_174731_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried all on the back wall? Doing opposite tops to the bottoms. Should create a random flow just don't have them point directly at a coral.
You may have to raise the bottom once they don't blow your sand everywhere.

Screenshot_20240104_174731_Chrome.jpg
I think if I lowered them any lower my sand would be toast. And I'm afraid to put them low, that's where all my lps and zoas are. Maybe 4 mp40's are too much. I bought this tank used so I've just been working with what I got. Think a gyre at the top would benefit?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I lowered them any lower my sand would be toast. And I'm afraid to put them low, that's where all my lps and zoas are. Maybe 4 mp40's are too much. I bought this tank used so I've just been working with what I got. Think a gyre at the top would benefit?
If I remember right mp40 pumps only are good for 24" then they lose there push. This is why I suggested the back wall. At 60" you won't even get half way across the tank. You might want to look at other pumps to incorporate.

I will be soon upgrading to a 60", tank is ordered. My plan is 1 mp40 upper dead center on back wall and my 2 neptune wav pumps next to the MP40 shooting one left and one right. I have 3D printed holders that allow me to do almost 90°.
I have to have them set real low in the 75 gallon, less than 20%. I should be able to unload them in the 150 gallon.

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right mp40 pumps only are good for 24" then they lose there push. This is why I suggested the back wall. At 60" you won't even get half way across the tank. You might want to look at other pumps to incorporate.

I will be soon upgrading to a 60", tank is ordered. My plan is 1 mp40 upper dead center on back wall and my 2 neptune wav pumps next to the MP40 shooting one left and one right. I have 3D printed holders that allow me to do almost 90°.
I have to have them set real low in the 75 gallon, less than 20%. I should be able to unload them in the 150 gallon.
I have mine set to 60% and my stylo in the middle of the tank is moving like crazy, so I don't know ha ha. I think it's pushing pretty good into the center. I get your thinking, but if i move those back 40s they are going to be blasting the coral that's right in front of it, unless i turn them way down like 20%. But still doesn't solve the problem on not being able to move the side mp40s closer to the bottom. I tried it once and my sand disappeared ha ha. I've been moving speeds and positions around and now my torches are ticked, it's a loose loose :-(

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back