Mrpontiac80 ‘s 180 gallon build

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights just kicked up so it’s pretty blue, but I got a great price on a new bounce mushroom yesterday so I had to get it.
IMG_6542.jpeg
Sunkist? Looks good

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to get a controller. I went with a hydros x4 pro pack and will be adding to it in a couple more weeks with a wave engine.
Since everything needs to mount to something, I threw together a controller board with materials already on hand. It’s a bit crude, but it will work.
I basically built an open door medicine cabinet. The idea is to remove the side door of my stand with the cabinet installed behind the stand opening. I threw up a panel on the backside just to simply hide wires passing through and also power bricks until the wave engine arrives. That will eliminate a couple.
Like I said, materials on hand were used, so the front side is spray paint in a dark blue and the back I sprayed in an automotive rubberized undercoat. The AFR dose container will sit in front of the rear panel and the doser on top of cabinet.
Not real pretty or cool but hopefully not real cruddy and ugly either :face-with-rolling-eyes:
IMG_9249.jpeg

IMG_9276.jpeg
IMG_9275.jpeg
IMG_9280.jpeg

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to get a controller. I went with a hydros x4 pro pack and will be adding to it in a couple more weeks with a wave engine.
Since everything needs to mount to something, I threw together a controller board with materials already on hand. It’s a bit crude, but it will work.
I basically built an open door medicine cabinet. The idea is to remove the side door of my stand with the cabinet installed behind the stand opening. I threw up a panel on the backside just to simply hide wires passing through and also power bricks until the wave engine arrives. That will eliminate a couple.
Like I said, materials on hand were used, so the front side is spray paint in a dark blue and the back I sprayed in an automotive rubberized undercoat. The AFR dose container will sit in front of the rear panel and the doser on top of cabinet.
Not real pretty or cool but hopefully not real cruddy and ugly either :face-with-rolling-eyes:
IMG_9249.jpeg

IMG_9276.jpeg
IMG_9275.jpeg
IMG_9280.jpeg
I have been happy with the wave engine

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with the wave engine
That’s awesome to hear! I’m pretty excited for this new controller stuff. I’ve been doing a lot of research on it and hope to get it installed today. I’m a creature of stability and put things off because I don’t like interrupting what I have going.. like my flow pattern. I hope things don’t change too much eliminating my gyre controllers but at the same time I know it will be fine.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome to hear! I’m pretty excited for this new controller stuff. I’ve been doing a lot of research on it and hope to get it installed today. I’m a creature of stability and put things off because I don’t like interrupting what I have going.. like my flow pattern. I hope things don’t change too much eliminating my gyre controllers but at the same time I know it will be fine.
You won’t notice a change in flow with the gyres but there is a learning curve with the wave engine

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the cabinet installed and gear ran through it…. What a super duper pain in the rear. I’m taking a break now and going to my LFS to see what’s new and this evening I’ll try to power up the hydros and figure out the ph probe. I’ve never had one before. After that is moving some power plugs to the XP8.
IMG_9281.jpeg
IMG_9284.jpeg

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Hydros is pretty awesome. I’m loving this thing and barely have it doing much so far. Now that I have a ph probe to constantly monitor the tank, my hand held tests seem to have been fairly accurate with a reading of about 8.0 Today i threw an air stone into the sump for the last 4 hrs of the peak light cycle and saw a .4 increase almost immediately.

I have a friend that sells coral “SeaCo Corals” that lives very close to me and we were talking about my future upgrades I want to add onto the hydros collective, and it turns out he had some new in stock things I want, so he hooked me up with a Wave Engine and battery backup! Thanks @SeaCo Nico !
IMG_9305.jpeg

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Hydros is pretty awesome. I’m loving this thing and barely have it doing much so far. Now that I have a ph probe to constantly monitor the tank, my hand held tests seem to have been fairly accurate with a reading of about 8.0 Today i threw an air stone into the sump for the last 4 hrs of the peak light cycle and saw a .4 increase almost immediately.

I have a friend that sells coral “SeaCo Corals” that lives very close to me and we were talking about my future upgrades I want to add onto the hydros collective, and it turns out he had some new still sealed up things I want, so he hooked me up with a Wave Engine and battery backup! Thanks @SeaCo Nico !
IMG_9305.jpeg
I run the battery backup as well, I just have it cut 1 gyre on at 60% continuous

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a friend that sells coral “SeaCo Corals” that lives very close to me and we were talking about my future upgrades I want to add onto the hydros collective, and it turns out he had some new still sealed up things I want, so he hooked me up with a Wave Engine and battery backup! Thanks @SeaCo Nico !
IMG_9305.jpeg
Awesome!

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to get a 2nd to daisy chain them and do the same…. Just in case we get one of those ice storms or something.
Good plan. I have an inverter generator that runs most of my homes so if power is out an hour or so I flip it on. 2 would be nice in case I was out of town.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the wave engine running this past week and still trying to figure out the flow that I prefer but it’s pretty awesome having different modes to easily switch to vs programming one up on two different gyre controllers!

Today I did a water change and just because, here are a few pics
IMG_9426.jpeg
IMG_9435.jpeg
IMG_9433.jpeg
IMG_9432.jpeg
IMG_9423.jpeg
IMG_9425.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back