MtrSkllz first Mixed Reef, Reefer 170

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had quite a few fishtanks in my life, but only 1 salt. And that was an aggressive FOWLR. I was really cheap about that build, and I had a lot of problems because of it, so this time i wanted to try to do everything as right as I possibly could.

Tank - Red Sea reefer 170
Light - radion xr30 pro w/mount
Skimmer - Reef Octopus 110sss
Return - Reef Octopus Varios-4
Heater - finnex hmx 150
Powerhead - Vortech mp10wqd
Control - Reeflink w/ecotech live
Rock/Sand - Tampa Bay Saltwater 25# "the package"

I plan to upgrade the ATO next to the new ATK kit, and Also to get a full apex, as soon as i save up enough money

Everyones favorite part, Pictures.

Here is first getting it leveled

mhl9SAX.jpg

Setting up the sump

GfZIclb.jpg

Freshwater leak test

uwT3gUF.jpg

Found a leak here at the drain connection. Tryed to re-seat it a few times to no avail, Contacted red sea and they sent me a new one.

gSZCQDf.jpg

With that fixed i started running RODI, mixed and filled with salt, ran the skimmer in vinegar solution for a while and then put it in the sump and got everything running

L9gkqzr.jpg

9Jyc3cW.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I contacted TampaBaySaltwater and placed my order. 25# "The Package" plus an extra 10# of live sand

Srss6pv.jpg

biYskEY.jpg

My ammonia peaked around 1.2 on day 3, Did a 5 gallon water change and by day 6 i was pretty steady at ~.2 so I contacted TBS again and they sent out the second part of my shippment

pYqK8Eo.jpg

3SALE00.jpg

I waited a few days and never saw any kind of ammonia rise above .2. So about 9 days after initially filling with water and went and got my first two fish, A pair of Davinchi Clowns from my LFS.

MJfYEeZ.jpg

tfAyZNv.jpg

That brings us up to today. I think the next purchase i will make is the ATK kit and a 5 gallon container, filling this thing every few days is getting annoying. I want to get a Goby/Pistol pair. And i still have a lot of research to do before i start getting corals, so that is at least a few weeks away. Not including the ones that came on the rock.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, love all the sponges, awesome clowns. :)

OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of the things that came on my rock.

YpIA1II.jpg

slSL3ff.jpg

zdYuWse.jpg

TA9J38Y.jpg

And my two decorator crabs that came with the rock

rjpp3YY.jpg

MZudUMW.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some modifications i have made.

1, I did the broadfield return mod so i could direct flow into the two back areas that were not getting flow.

jloH1c8.jpg

jmcHW8p.jpg

2, I got one of those DIY screen top kits. I actually really like how it turned out. I made a cut out in the back for the light, and epoxied tabs in the front to hold it up and a little tab for a handle.

Xf7VD5T.jpg

hDP1gYX.jpg

OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also picked up a few new corals. I added one piece that was reactive under actinic and now i am hooked.

z54Qmvj.jpg

KpLc4ZR.jpg

3SIWT4x.jpg

Dx3NTk4.jpg

Last edited:

Eatapeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I just picked up an Red Sea E260 and getting ready to order "the package" from TBS as well, but had a question for you first. How did you decide which size package to get? I like the look of the amount of sand and rock in your tank and want to achieve the same balance in mine. I don't want the whole tank to be stuffed full of rock and if I buy the package size he list for my tank size I'm afriad it will be way too much. Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 25 gallon package, and added 10 pounds of sand to it. I ordered based on a little over 1 pound per gallon. Honestly it was still too much rock and i traded like 8 pounds in at the LFS. But i am also not sure exactly how much he shipped me. I would basically order a a package that has a little over 1 pound per gallon of rock for your tank, and add enough extra sand to make that about 1 pound per gallon. You might have some extra rock, but you can pick out the good stuff and sell or trade the rest.

OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a few changes this weekend.

Added 1" hard plumbing with a 3/4" manifold and two 1/2" valves for two reactors, one has brs ROX carbon and the other I made into a Chaeto reactor. Both are AquaMaxx FR-SE. The picture of the chaeto reactor is before i removed about half the light strip and then wrapped it in red vinyl.

Also added a neptune ATK and used a innovative marine 5 gallon reservoir because it fit my cabinet perfectly and i like the slide out drawer for filling.

20170722_175159.jpg
20170721_191354.jpg
20170722_201341.jpg
20170722_212251.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along your build thread!

I just setup my reefer 170 a week ago (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kinetic-red-sea-reefer-170.323097/)

I'm using a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 for the return, and a QuietPro 2.0 for my chiller/reactors. The pumps are pretty quiet at low flow, but when I cranked them to what I needed (about 50%), they are pretty loud. I'm thinking of getting the VarioS S-4, and saw you have one!

How is yours running? Is it on max with all your manifolds? Also, how is the noise level?

OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 for the return, and a QuietPro 2.0 for my chiller/reactors. The pumps are pretty quiet at low flow, but when I cranked them to what I needed (about 50%), they are pretty loud. I'm thinking of getting the VarioS S-4, and saw you have one!

How is yours running? Is it on max with all your manifolds? Also, how is the noise level?

The VarioS S-4 is dead silent. But yes i have it running at max, and it is honestly just enough flow. I kinda wish it had a little bit more, but there is no question it is enough. Before I had the manifold though it was only on like setting 3 I think. EcoSmart just came out with their new pump also that looks pretty good.

OP
OP
MtrSkllz

MtrSkllz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got tired of manually dosing and bought a doser. I went with the Kamoer x4, I liked the idea of having 4 heads on one unit for space saving, and the WiFi adjustments are really nice. Although getting it programmed was a real pain (getting the wifi working, after that it was super easy).

20170910_144419.jpg

20170910_170035.jpg

I was going to get a custom made tank to hold additives, but then i seen the komoer tanks and was instantly sold, I just put them next to the tank, only like $15 each and they come with a level sensor that plugs right into the unit.

20170910_170043.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The VarioS S-4 is dead silent. But yes i have it running at max, and it is honestly just enough flow. I kinda wish it had a little bit more, but there is no question it is enough. Before I had the manifold though it was only on like setting 3 I think. EcoSmart just came out with their new pump also that looks pretty good.

Glad to hear it's dead silent! I measured my QuietPro 4.0, and it registers about 55 dB when running at 50%. Pretty loud for a DC pump!

Anyway, I have the VarioS S-4 and S-2 coming next week. The S-4 will be dedicated return pump, with the S-2 powering everything else.

That doser looks really nice! I'll probably need to pick one up eventually.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back