Mucus Algae Identification

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this slimy clear mucus spider web like algae start growing in my tank in the last week. In texture, is very similar to coral mucus in that it is stringy and slimy and clear however it is not coming from coral. I have mostly sps in the tank and they are all still doing very well with great polyp extension. The skimmer has been skimming much more lately and the mucus is making the water cloudy. I run carbon and GFO from midnight to noon each day. Water changes are made twice weekly. Tank parameters are as follows:

29 Gallon BC
Set up since January
Rock has been in system for 4 years or so
Temp - 77.5 - 78
Cal - 440
Mg - 1350
Alk - 8.6
Nitrates - 0
Phosphates - 0

Here are some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

Thanks,

Tyler

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff in the first picture will bother those zoas, so I would siphon it out. It's a type of bacterial bloom, usually to consume something dead or dying.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would continue turkey basting the tank and continue filtering the tank as normal. I would worry about what died to spike that bloom?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic # 2 and #3 look like Vermetid Snails to me, totally harmless but unsightly. I snip them off with my fragging shears and feed the snails to my fish.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marc! Is there a way to get rid of the bacterial bloom?

Thanks,

Tyler

Siphon it out, first of all. For some people, they'll get this stuff everywhere. Others only see it when a fish dies, like what happened to me once.

If you are dosing vodka or vinegar, that MIGHT be another reason this stuff appeared. If you are, cut back your dosing a little bit for the time being and then ramp back up gradually over the next few weeks.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think about the possibility of carbon dosing causing the white funk cloud of problems. Good thing to keep in mind!

OP
OP
Y

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not doing any carbon dosing... I only have one fish and it is still kicking. Only thing that has did has been an emerald crab... I did change my carbon and GFO out last night in hopes that will help. There is enough of the mucus/slime in the water to make the water cloudy :-/ All parameters are in check and maintaining at a constant level throughout the day.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? Can you drain into a 100micron filter sock (not a mesh bag) for today? Clean the skimmer's cup and neck and try to export everything you can from the system immediately. You don't want this getting ahead of you. How cloudy is it? Is it a white cloud, essentially? Opaque, I mean.

OP
OP
Y

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump... I don't have a filter sock. I'm skimming and changing water as much as possible. The water isn't super cloudy it just isnt crystal clear like normal. I can't figure out what might have died to cause the bloom. I have had an emerald crab that I have seen dead and a fungia... that's it. I maintain the thing like a religion and I think that is why I am so baffled!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always variables that can cause stuff to crop up like this. Household cleaners, painting walls or varnishing furniture in the home, pest control products, carpet cleaning, contaminants on our hands, on the tools we use in our tank, kids playing nearby, contaminated food, sunlight hitting the tank, or just plain bad luck.

If you have Chemi-Pure, it clarifies tank water.

OP
OP
Y

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4. May have just been some bad luck... I am going to keep the skimmer skimming wet, siphon as much out as possible during frequent water changes, & change the Carbon/GFO after a 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for the help and wish me luck!

Tyler

OP
OP
Y

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bacteria bloom beat I believe! Slime/Mucus is almost completely gone and water is almost as clear as normal! Here's how I beat it:

Several water changes siphoning mucus/slime out
Lots of carbon! I changed my carbon in my BRS reactor daily for 4 days...
Tuned my skimmer to skim very wet so it took more stuff out
Stopped feeding

I think all of these things helped to kick the bloom! I think the issue may have stemmed from overfeeding. I only have one fish and a shrimp in there and my neighbor watched the tank for 3 days while I was gone and most likely just over fed the tank. Thanks for the help and hopefully this will help others!

Tyler

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bacteria bloom beat I believe! Slime/Mucus is almost completely gone and water is almost as clear as normal! Here's how I beat it:

Stopped feeding

I think all of these things helped to kick the bloom! I think the issue may have stemmed from overfeeding. I only have one fish and a shrimp in there and my neighbor watched the tank for 3 days while I was gone and most likely just over fed the tank. Thanks for the help and hopefully this will help others!

Tyler

Glad to hear you won the battle. Nothing like carbon and Water changes to fix a problem!! Wish all problems were fixed this way lol.

cheek_biz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stopped feeding

Tyler

I'm glad to hear u got it under control.. U tips will hopefully help kill my battle that I'm goin thru with this same stuff rite now.. I have more of the stringy slimey stuff in the sump chambers but a few strands on my rock!! I've been siphoning out as much as I can, actually 2 1/2 gals of water a day trying to get it out!! So I'll jus stop feeding, wet skim, and add a lot of carbon?? Correct?..

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have this problem too. Good thread. I added a couple new fish last week and fed a little bit more algae to the tank to slow down the fighting (my yellow tang and coral beauty were going after my Foxface and PBT). it stopped the fighting, but tonight I noticed all these mucus like/weblike strands coming off the algae clip.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody mentioned chrysophytes yet?

It’s what it looks like.

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the right now but I’m pretty sure it’s because my tank is two weeks old and the bacteria is establishing itself

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back