Mucus-like Webbing on Rock - Question on Flow

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to understand what might be in a few different spots on my rock. I've got a healthy ecosystem, but noticed in a few areas on the rock that there is a spider web like/mucus like substance waving in the current. Its not vermetid snails, I know what they look like, and its not a sponge. Honestly looks like mucus thats just sitting there and floating around. It can be sucked up with a turkey baster, but I've noticed a few little patches of it around the tank.

Also, I've got the Red Sea Max tank that has three internal powerheads on the back, but they can't be angled down enough to hit the back side of my rock structure... wondering if I should mount a powerhead lower to push water through the rocks towards the front of the tank... thoughts? Here's a full tank shot, you can see those powerhead up on the back. But the back of the rocks down low doesn't get much flow.. and I have that Nero powerhead on left raised up higher now to provide flow to the top half of the back of the rocks... but nothing keeps much of a current down low on sand in back.

IMG_5093.jpeg

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have something similiar by my torch, and no wrasses sleep where it is

OP
OP
Michael Hull

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be mucus cocoon from your wrasses if you have any. They form one when they sleep.
Wow!!! Yes, I have two wrasses! A melanarus and a red fairy. That's definitely what it is, I looked it up and its spot on! Thank you!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 98 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back