Multiple Angel Tank

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for insights from those who have kept multiple large angels successfully for long term. I am planning on keeping an Imperator, Queen, French or Cortez, Clarion, maybe a Passer or Maculosus.

Other fish will be in the systems such as tangs, a few wrasse and assorted other fish.

Tank will be north of 600 gallons with strong flow, heavy nutrient export, measures to ensure maximum dissolved oxygen and plenty of line of sight breaks and hiding places.

Any other considerations I should make in the system?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I love angelfish and my tank would be too small for any of those angels. :) I would absolutely love a Maculosus, King / Passer, Clarion (super expensive!), Koran and Emperor.

However, with the exception of the Clarion which gets to 8”, the rest all get to well over a foot long. If you want all of them you’ll need a very large tank to accommodate them.

Queen, Cortez, Clarion, Passer all belong to the genus Holocanthus. The rest you mentioned belong to the genus Pomacanthus. Not sure how multiple species of the same genus (with these two genuses specifically) would work out, so I’m not the best person to ask.

I don’t know how big your tank is, but mind if I suggest some medium sized angelfish if you can’t get all those large-Large angels into the same tank? :)

1. Genicanthus Angels- Lamarck’s (9”), Spot Breast and Bellus (7”), Watanabei (6”), Masked Swallowtail (8.25”), Red Sea Lyretail (8.25”).- Can be kept as a male / female pair or as a harem of one male to two or more females. The only completely reef safe genus. From everywhere I’ve heard they’re among the hardiest of angels given they are well-collected / well acclimated.

2. Chaetodonplus Angels- You can find the Scribbled (10”) and Blue Lined (8”) Captive bred. In fact a Captive Bred Scribbled Angel is very high on my stocking priorities. You could also consider a captive bred Singapore / Vermiculated Angel (8”) from Poma Labs but it’s nowhere near as striking as the Scribbled IMO.

3. Apolemichthys Angels- Xanthurus Cream (8”) is the easiest and not a hard angel to keep overall. You could also consider the larger but rarer / more expensive Goldflake Angel (10”). I believe both can be found captive bred.

4. If (and only if) you’re up for a challenge, a Regal Angel (10”). Best to get a specimen that’s healthy, eating, and from the Red Sea. Genus Pygoplites.

5. The Majestic is the smallest out of the large-Large angelfish. I haven’t been able to find consensus on how easy or hard it is to keep, I’ve heard both.

Good luck with your angelfish tank!

And since you’re inquiring about these very large angelfish, I assume your tank will fit any of the Centropyge dwarf angels. If you get lucky, I’d go with a mated pair or harem of Flame Angels for Centropyge in a large tank. :)

Unfortunately though, don’t want to burst your bubble man (I’d love to have an angelfish tank too lol) but maybe the safest is to have one Holocanthus and one Pomacanthus for the very large angels and have the rest of your angels be medium and small angels, either one of each species or pairs / harems.

Last edited:

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of really great information here! Thank you for sharing your knowledge, @Zionas . I would be interested to know more about the reef safe angels out there. Right now, I have a transitioning Koran Angel who is starting to nip at my stony corals. He seems to leave all of my softies alone. But I just love angels! So if you know of any that are reef safe, (bonus points for actually being a part of the reef keeping trade) I would like to have some more information on them.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in my 650 display I have a Pomocanthus paru and Holocanthus Ciliaris. Pomocanthus annularis is finishing up QT. Plan on still adding an H. Imperator and a Blueface. So far things are going fine but as the mature we will have to see. The French is between 10-12” and Queen is about 7”. Annularis also 7”.
Hey there. I love angelfish and my tank would be too small for any of those angels. :) I would absolutely love a Maculosus, King / Passer, Clarion (super expensive!), Koran and Emperor.

However, with the exception of the Clarion which gets to 8”, the rest all get to well over a foot long. If you want all of them you’ll need a very large tank to accommodate them.

Queen, Cortez, Clarion, Passer all belong to the genus Holocanthus. The rest you mentioned belong to the genus Pomacanthus. Not sure how multiple species of the same genus (with these two genuses specifically) would work out, so I’m not the best person to ask.

I don’t know how big your tank is, but mind if I suggest some medium sized angelfish if you can’t get all those large-Large angels into the same tank? :)

1. Genicanthus Angels- Lamarck’s (9”), Spot Breast and Bellus (7”), Watanabei (6”), Masked Swallowtail (8.25”), Red Sea Lyretail (8.25”).- Can be kept as a male / female pair or as a harem of one male to two or more females. The only completely reef safe genus. From everywhere I’ve heard they’re among the hardiest of angels given they are well-collected / well acclimated.

2. Chaetodonplus Angels- You can find the Scribbled (10”) and Blue Lined (8”) Captive bred. In fact a Captive Bred Scribbled Angel is very high on my stocking priorities. You could also consider a captive bred Singapore / Vermiculated Angel (8”) from Poma Labs but it’s nowhere near as striking as the Scribbled IMO.

3. Apolemichthys Angels- Xanthurus Cream (8”) is the easiest and not a hard angel to keep overall. You could also consider the larger but rarer / more expensive Goldflake Angel (10”). I believe both can be found captive bred.

4. If (and only if) you’re up for a challenge, a Regal Angel (10”). Best to get a specimen that’s healthy, eating, and from the Red Sea. Genus Pygoplites.

5. The Majestic is the smallest out of the large-Large angelfish. I haven’t been able to find consensus on how easy or hard it is to keep, I’ve heard both.

Good luck with your angelfish tank!

And since you’re inquiring about these very large angelfish, I assume your tank will fit any of the Centropyge dwarf angels. If you get lucky, I’d go with a mated pair or harem of Flame Angels for Centropyge in a large tank. :)

Unfortunately though, don’t want to burst your bubble man (I’d love to have an angelfish tank too lol) but maybe the safest is to have one Holocanthus and one Pomacanthus for the very large angels and have the rest of your angels be medium and small angels, either one of each species or pairs / harems.
0CDFD232-5C14-4B87-B897-19019DF9AAF1.jpeg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you’re welcome! I’m not too sure actually with most angels it’s not entirely certain whether they’ll start nipping at corals but plenty of people keep the not entirely reef safe genuses in their tanks so I guess a lot of time soon it does work out lol. Just try to feed them a very good and varied diet as they’re omnivores lol.

Usually from what I’ve seen on here lol many angels tend to ignore softies, but SPS and LPS people are more cautious about.

I love angels too!

To the OP, those are some beautiful fish. Don’t wanna be off topic but how’s that Bannerfish? Have you found it hardy?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banner fish is super easy. He is one of the most aggressive eaters in the tank and is always active. I have had him for three years.
Lol you’re welcome! I’m not too sure actually with most angels it’s not entirely certain whether they’ll start nipping at corals but plenty of people keep the not entirely reef safe genuses in their tanks so I guess a lot of time soon it does work out lol. Just try to feed them a very good and varied diet as they’re omnivores lol.

Usually from what I’ve seen on here lol many angels tend to ignore softies, but SPS and LPS people are more cautious about.

I love angels too!

To the OP, those are some beautiful fish. Don’t wanna be off topic but how’s that Bannerfish? Have you found it hardy?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx!
Actually all of them have proven to be hardy and robust eaters except the Goldflake which I’ve had for 2 1/2 months and still doesn't eat robustly. I’ve tried cleaning him out of all internal parasites and its been tough....several weeks of GC followed by f’bendazole w/ metro and still has some stringy poop. I think that is the issue.....The scribble however has been very hardy and has grown nicely even though it had Lymph when I first got her......

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful collection and don't see an issue other than diet- As long as they get sponge and other meats. . . . will be a dandy !

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think k is the best way to get angels sponge? Put some sacrificial sponges in the tank or can a product like Brightwell’s Angelixir do the trick?
Beautiful collection and don't see an issue other than diet- As long as they get sponge and other meats. . . . will be a dandy !

519CBCCE-822D-4D8C-BB80-614F850A962A.png

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to get all juvenile pre-transition. A few of those on your list can get temperamental and territorial, more so as they sexually mature. In my opinion size tank you mention will be good for 3-4 years, at that point will stunt the growth of some unless thinned out. Also Large fish will need more flow for resistance to stay healthy. Many of these are in less turbulent shallows as juveniles and move to deeper water as they grow.

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in my 650 display I have a Pomocanthus paru and Holocanthus Ciliaris. Pomocanthus annularis is finishing up QT. Plan on still adding an H. Imperator and a Blueface. So far things are going fine but as the mature we will have to see. The French is between 10-12” and Queen is about 7”. Annularis also 7”.

0CDFD232-5C14-4B87-B897-19019DF9AAF1.jpeg
What tang is that front left bottom?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you think k is the best way to get angels sponge? Put some sacrificial sponges in the tank or can a product like Brightwell’s Angelixir do the trick?

519CBCCE-822D-4D8C-BB80-614F850A962A.png
good stuff !!
Also:

1590436936323.png

Large size:

1590436967881.png
1590437047850.png
1590437076593.png
1590437095197.png
1590437114153.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back