Multiple fish in long term QT with mouth inflammation - HELP!

skreefjourney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 10 fish in a 40g breeder, they have been in there for about 2 months while I go fallow in the display for ich. The fish first went through 3 weeks of copper (copper power 2.5ppm), then a couple of rounds of API general cure. There were a couple of ammonia spikes which I've managed with big water changes but ammonia has been zero over the last couple of weeks. Feeding flake/pellet and occasionally some reef-frenzy.

I first lost an anthias to what appeared to be some sort of trouble breathing. Subsequently, over the last 2 weeks or so, individual fish have been displaying some shaking of the head, decreased (to no) appetite - although at first they were interested in food but couldn't eat; swimming with mouth open, some redness around the mouth. Currently, my powder blue tang, both clownfish, rabbitfish and yellow tang all have it. Interestingly the blennies (midas and starry) and long-nose hawkfish are fine (so far). Over the last 5 days I've added some metroplex but doesn't seem to be helping.

I'm presuming this is some sort of bacterial mouth infection? Perhaps due to stress/water quality??

I can start some antibiotics but interested to know which ones might be best. Any other thoughts please let me know

Video posted here (thought it is hard to see the signs in this video)

Thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems odd for a group of fish to all develop a primary bacterial disease with the same symptoms.
I can’t be sure, but in the video, some of the fish seem to be breathing a bit fast. What about it being gill flukes? The General cure works on flukes, but doesn’t kill gill fluke eggs, could some of these hatched out and reinfected the fish?
Jay

OP
OP
S

skreefjourney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think another round of GC? Any other treatments you might recommend concurrently? Many thanks for the rapid reply!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back