Multiple IDs

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what some of these are?

1)This sponge seems to grow on everything.

IMG_1664.jpeg

2) A black and white sponge that has been on this blast for two years.

IMG_1665.jpeg

3) Barnacle?
IMG_1666.jpeg

4)Barnacle

IMG_1667.jpeg

5) a red and black/blue sponge

IMG_1668.jpeg

6) A white film like sponge

IMG_1669.jpeg

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3,4 appear to be some type of mussel or oyster.
5 maybe a colonial tunicate. Looks similar to: Botrylloides giganteus

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My few cents:
1: probably a sponge, tough to tell
2: Sponge
3: Jewel box clam
4: Jewel box clam
5: Colonial tunicates
6: I'm guessing sponge, but could also be tunicates - if they react to touch, it's the latter

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1, 2, and 6: Yeah, those are sponges of some kind.
3 & 4: Bivalves of some kind (there seems to be a third just under the one pointed out in 4).
5: Probably colonial tunicates of some variety (though I can’t quite see it clearly enough to rule out a sponge).

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1, 2, and 6: Yeah, those are sponges of some kind.
3 & 4: Bivalves of some kind (there seems to be a third just under the one pointed out in 4).
5: Probably colonial tunicates of some variety (though I can’t quite see it clearly enough to rule out a sponge).
Any idea is sponge 1 is a problem? It’s growing all over the place and on my maxima clam shell.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea is sponge 1 is a problem? It’s growing all over the place and on my maxima clam shell.
If it’s growing everywhere, then it may be invasive; not necessarily harmful, just fast spreading.

As a general rule of thumb, unless a sponge start growing over and smothering things (like corals) in a tank, it’s probably harmless.

Edit: I’d assume the sponge is harmless at this point.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard good things about them but I am sold on them if I upgrade after seeing yours.
As long as you’re comfortable with the critters it brings. I love the rocks and they speed up sps tanks so much. But there is no escaping aiptasia and so on. Berghias and Copperbands are my top picks for live rocks

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you’re comfortable with the critters it brings. I love the rocks and they speed up sps tanks so much. But there is no escaping aiptasia and so on. Berghias and Copperbands are my top picks for live rocks
I started reefing in the mid 90’s and ran a tank for 16 years. Gorgeous live rock back in the day ( no one used dry) and there were no frag plugs and all the corals came on small pieces of live rock. I used sit with a flashlight and watch all the critters, it was almost as fun as watching my tank with lights on. When I set up my tank over two years ago I got my rock from a friend’s sump ( been sitting in there for a couple decades), plenty of bacteria for an instant cycle but few critters. I have bought and added bristle worms, spaghetti worms, amphipods and micro brittle starfish. I’m missing the little feather dusters.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing in the mid 90’s and ran a tank for 16 years. Gorgeous live rock back in the day ( no one used dry) and there were no frag plugs and all the corals came on small pieces of live rock. I used sit with a flashlight and watch all the critters, it was almost as fun as watching my tank with lights on. When I set up my tank over two years ago I got my rock from a friend’s sump ( been sitting in there for a couple decades), plenty of bacteria for an instant cycle but few critters. I have bought and added bristle worms, spaghetti worms, amphipods and micro brittle starfish. I’m missing the little feather dusters.
You know then back with the old fiji rock.

So much cool stuff and over the years I’ve gotten to the point where pests are not as big of a deal to me.

Much more fun to investigate with a flashlight.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if I could just get po4 down a little from 1.7 ppm and no3 down a bit from 70ppm. Haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back