Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this formats this time!
Pic #1 overall pic
Pic #2 Whats that algae?
Pic #3 red-pineapple sponge? green-shell?
Pic #4 red- vermetid snails? Blue-algae? Green-shell?
Pic #5-Fire worm?
Pic #6- Red-Veiny coral/sponge?
Video
0:00-Bristle worm?
0:22,0:24-weird poppy guy? 0:28,0:40-little amphipod above pineapple sponge? 0:50-Fire bristle worm.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG20240205175957.jpg IMG20240206202107.jpg IMG20240206202120-EDIT.jpg IMG20240206202130-EDIT.jpg IMG20240206222939.jpg IMG2024020621440566.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic #2 Whats that algae?
This'll be a lot easier to ID as it grows, but it looks like a fleshy, green macroalgae, so it'll probably be pretty palatable to a lot of herbivores.
Pic #3 red-pineapple sponge? green-shell?
Pineapple Sponge and Spirorbid Worm - both are harmless filter-feeders.
Pic #4 red- vermetid snails? Blue-algae? Green-shell?
Not vermetids - looks like it might be either hydroid tubes or worm tubes, but I'm not sure on that.

Best guess for the algae would be taxonomic family Cladophoraceae, possibly a Cladophora species. Again, I'm not sure.

This one's quite interesting - I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like it might be the start of a worm/vermetid tube being built.
Pic #5-Fire worm?
You'll definitely need a clearer pic for a proper ID here, unfortunately, but most likely a bristleworm.
Pic #6- Red-Veiny coral/sponge?
Either a sponge or colonial tunicates - I'm leaning toward sponge, but this may help you differentiate them:
colonial tunicates are typically very uniform, with all of the in-current siphons being roughly the same size and shape and being distributed very uniformly as well; sponges tend to be less uniform and more haphazard with their in-current siphons;
0:00-Bristle worm?
0:50-Fire bristle worm.
Again, probably - if it has red tufts between the white bristles, then you can know it's a fireworm; if there are no red tufts, it's probably a probably a regular bristleworm.
0:22,0:24-weird poppy guy?
Even watching at 0.25 speed, that thing is fast, haha. I don't see any mantis eyestalks (I do see two, thin, antennae though), so probably an amphipod - super cool, and seems to be building itself a neat, little tube.
0:28,0:40-little amphipod above pineapple sponge?
Some sort of cool-looking pod, but I can't tell which kind from the video.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This'll be a lot easier to ID as it grows, but it looks like a fleshy, green macroalgae, so it'll probably be pretty palatable to a lot of herbivores.

Pineapple Sponge and Spirorbid Worm - both are harmless filter-feeders.

Not vermetids - looks like it might be either hydroid tubes or worm tubes, but I'm not sure on that.

Best guess for the algae would be taxonomic family Cladophoraceae, possibly a Cladophora species. Again, I'm not sure.

This one's quite interesting - I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like it might be the start of a worm/vermetid tube being built.

You'll definitely need a clearer pic for a proper ID here, unfortunately, but most likely a bristleworm.

Either a sponge or colonial tunicates - I'm leaning toward sponge, but this may help you differentiate them:

Again, probably - if it has red tufts between the white bristles, then you can know it's a fireworm; if there are no red tufts, it's probably a probably a regular bristleworm.

Even watching at 0.25 speed, that thing is fast, haha. I don't see any mantis eyestalks (I do see two, thin, antennae though), so probably an amphipod - super cool, and seems to be building itself a neat, little tube.

Some sort of cool-looking pod, but I can't tell which kind from the video.
Thanks so much! Theat second to last guy is really fast and I think the rocks covered in them! I'm glad they arent vermited snails and they kinda do look like micro tube worms? They have two antenna things which pop out like my feathers.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad they arent vermited snails and they kinda do look like micro tube worms? They have two antenna things which pop out like my feathers.
Ah, yeah I can see them in the background of your last pic - since they have two antennae, they're either Spionid or Chaetopterid worms (probably Spionids in this case).

They're generally harmless, but if they start popping up in live corals, you've got a problem (Coral-boring Spionid Worms can be very difficult to remove; in small numbers, they're harmless, but it large numbers, they can kill corals and basically destroy a tank).

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yeah I can see them in the background of your last pic - since they have two antennae, they're either Spionid or Chaetopterid worms (probably Spionids in this case).

They're generally harmless, but if they start popping up in live corals, you've got a problem (Coral-boring Spionid Worms can be very difficult to remove; in small numbers, they're harmless, but it large numbers, they can kill corals and basically destroy a tank).
Thanks again! As an update, I saw a teeny tiny bristle worm, definitely a not fire, and that other bigger bristle poked his head out of his hidy hole! I got a good look at him and he seems to just be a regular bristle too. I pipetted some of the critters a bit of food because I wanted to see how they'd react. It was so cute to see the tiny guys grabbing a nugget half their size!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back