Multiple Morays as Tankmates (No Fish)

CONSPICILLUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for comments about an immanent new tank setup with mostly durophagus (non-piscivorous) same-sized and likely-compatible moray eels together in a single 72”x24”x30” 225G with sump, protein skimmer, and reef filtration, etc. (or matched dual tanks if the stocking list is too much for the single 225G tank).

Stocking list includes:
Chainlink Moray (Echidna Catenata)
Snowflake Moray (Echidna Nebulosa)
Freckled Moray (Echidna Nocturna)
Banded Moray (Echidna Polyzona)
Skeletor Moray (Echidna Xanthospilos)
Zebra Moray (Gymnomuraena Zebra)
Banana Moray (Gymnothorax Miliaris)

Tankscape will include plenty of rock for caves, along with several large dead coral decor pieces; all of which can be removed from the tank in attached sections.

Even though these are all durophagus species, I don’t have any plans to include any fish as tankmates. My concern is whether the Banana is going to also play as nice as the pebbletoothed guys, being the only Gymnothorax species in the tank.

Joining this tank will be a succession of 150G to 300G+ species tanks to each house an eventual large number of individual moray eels from the piscivorous families, all surrounding several large FOWLR tanks and a large reef tank in a 3000sq/ft basement devoted solely to marine aquaria.

Are there any comments or suggestions about other compatible moray eel tankmates from the other moray eel families? I don’t want to include a Golden Dwarf Moray because it’s such a small species. A pair of GDM will go in the reef tank.

Thanks in advance for reading and/or commenting.

Last edited:

!0AallstarReefer0!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not all too familiar with eels, but having kept a few different kinds in the past, I don’t think there should be many issues. As long as they are well fed.

OP
OP
CONSPICILLUM

CONSPICILLUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not all too familiar with eels, but having kept a few different kinds in the past, I don’t think there should be many issues. As long as they are well fed.

Thanks, and agreed. One of the reasons for not adding fish is so the eels aren’t competing for food except between themselves. Tong feeding is a great way to make sure everyone gets fed. :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it is overstocked, you need to plan on adequate dens for each eel. While some may decide to cohabitate, it's not a quarantee, so an individual den with the space for each eel would be highly recommended, a zebra eel grows to 5' and alone would need a good chunk of real estate. The only thing I could imagine that could filter such a bioload would be a refugium at least as large and an industrial size protein skimmer, and that likely still won't do it with 20% weekly water changes. The Gymnothorax Miliaris would need to be in a more lightly stocked tank, it is your only fang tooth, and he could easily turn into Jack the Ripper.

OP
OP
CONSPICILLUM

CONSPICILLUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it is overstocked, you need to plan on adequate dens for each eel. While some may decide to cohabitate, it's not a quarantee, so an individual den with the space for each eel would be highly recommended, a zebra eel grows to 5' and alone would need a good chunk of real estate. The only thing I could imagine that could filter such a bioload would be a refugium at least as large and an industrial size protein skimmer, and that likely still won't do it with 20% weekly water changes. The Gymnothorax Miliaris would need to be in a more lightly stocked tank, it is your only fang tooth, and he could easily turn into Jack the Ripper.

That was my concern, and the reason I mentioned them possibly needing to be split between two 225G tanks. So I’ll take your advice and plan for multiple tanks.

Do you think the G. Miliaris is too much of a tankmate risk in general? Or just in an overcrowded tank scenario. I’m plumbing the basement for dozens of tanks, so maybe I should stick with 3 of the above eels in each of the two tanks. The Miliaris can have its own 150G species tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G. miliaris is a great eel if given room and not crowded. It's not overly aggressive, try to start smaller. Stick to a strict feeding schedule with this guy and he'll likely be fine with others.

rfgonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be one dirty tank. I have two morays in a 150 and No3 and Po4 are sky high.

20190606_155112[2405].jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back