Banded Moray Eel with Spotted Moray

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background, I currently have a 300 gallon 8' x 30" wide tank that houses a Spotted Moray (Gymnothorax moringa) along with a few other no eel things. I am currently waiting on a larger tank to be completed, the new tank has a foot print of 8'x4', I believe it comes out to around 450ish gallons. I have seen several people keeping more than one eel in the same tank and was wondering if I could do the same.

My concern is that the spotted gets much larger than the banded moray (Echidna polyzona). Opinions? I can get a banded for a good price ATM, but don't want to if it would be a disaster waiting to happen. If not a banded, any other species that would cohabitate with the spotted that isn't stupid expensive as it seems some eels are?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is good, present and future. The spotted moray is a milder fang tooth eel, they are usually good with other eels and more importantly, fish. Fang tooth vs pebble tooth should be the primary consideration, fang tooth eels as they mature could also threaten your fish, ones that earlier may have seemed safe. If the banded eel's size is comparable to the spotted now, and the spotted has seemed to be non aggressive, that match may be ok. The chainlink is a pebble tooth eel that is comparable in size. The goldentail is a smaller fang tooth that also has a mild temperament, but it is a fang tooth. I'm sure you've scaped your tank with multiple den options.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will have a yellow stingray, spotted moray, a grey bamboo, a loin, a blue line grouper and a unicorn tang that’s over a foot currently. Just kinda wanted two eels but wanted to stay away from the eels that are expensive

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found someone wanting to rehome a white eyed moray, Gymnothorax thyrsoideus.

From my understanding from a little googling, they tend to be a pretty mild mannered fang tooth. What do you think about it’s sharing a tank with the spotted moray? My concern would be the size difference in once they mature. I have never attempted to keep eels together.

@lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are mild mannered, maybe the mildest fang tooth around. They are also good with other eels as well as f appropriate fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very risky, if he decides to go after him, he's dead. I would prefer to introduce an evenly matched fish. Sometimes a smaller fish can be perceived as not threatening, and then ignored. This is a gamble.

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally, having seen fully grown spotted eels, I can't recommend it. Hes going to be 3 feet + at maturity while the spotted may get up to 2 feet, it'll never have to temperament, girth, or defensive options needed to survive if the spotted gets aggressive.

If the spotted was the smaller of two that would be different. You may Hage a shot putting them in your particular set up because it's so large
With that in mind and the passive nature I've observed in both species, you could swing it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back