Multiple Tang Advice

Giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice, I started with a 32 Biocube that came with a Blue Tang, knowing it would need a bigger tank I just picked up an established 90 gallon to give it more space. She is still small about 2 inches. I really would like to add at least another tang like a Powder Brown Tang. I will be upgrading to a 180 to 220-gallon tank in a year or less.

I just moved the Blue Tang to the 90 yesterday from the 32.

I have read to put multiple tangs in at the same time and all of that.

Anyone successfully have multiple Tangs?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 5 in my 180. Lavender, blue hippo, purple, Thompsons and bristletooth. The lavender is the alpha of the group and would probably seriously injure or kill any other tang additions. So unless I have an unexpected death, I am done with tangs. In my experience, the blue tangs are more timid than most. So you most likely would not have an issue putting another tang in with that one. But if you get into the zebrasoma tangs, they can be aggressive, and it would be advisable to add them all at the same time. So in your case, you could easily add a bristletooth (which are also very timid), or acanthurus (such as a powder brown), but I would save the zebrasomas (yellow, purple, gem, etc..) for when you move to the 180. Then you can buy the new fish, quarantine it, and release them all into the 180 at the same time, before any one fish can establish territory.

There are other tricks people have used with some success. Putting a mirror on the glass at the same time you put in a new tang, might trick your established tang into fighting itself. I have also printed out a picture of a big yellow tang and taped it to the side of my glass. That didn't work particularly well, but I have heard of people using that trick with success too. But like I said, in your case, the blues are pretty timid, so it is unlikely you will have problems introducing whatever you want. I would just think ahead about the timing going into the 180 and shy away from the more aggressive species for now.

I wish you luck. Both the hippo and powder brown are up there as one of the most susceptible for ich. Be patient with quarantine, if you go with powder brown.

Mareshow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the mirror on multiple occasions while adding new tangs, leave it there for an hour or so and you'll be good. My current tang stock is 1 Sohal, 1 lieutenant, 1 blue, 1 purple, 1 dej sailfin, 1tomini, 1 two spot, 1 orange shoulder and 4 yellow. I will be adding four more, 2 nasos, an Achilles and a powder blue if all goes right.

He's also right as I've found blues to be somewhat loners and keep to themselves.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang in my 75 and added a Caribbean blue tang a few months later. They were fine, but both bad their own rock work to hide in.

I upgraded to a 180 about a year after I added them, and now they are best friends.

Gulrez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I will share this after going through several iterations and stressing out about tangs fighting each other. I believe it's all got to do with giving each tang their own little special area in the aquarium. As long as there are multiple hiding places that each can claim as their own, you should be fine. the only exception to this rule, at least in my experience, has been with Sohal and Powder Blue, who just are nasty ( i hear it depends what you get... mine have been terrors).

i have 8 tangs all doing fine. size from 8+ inches to 3 inches.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back