Multiple tanks on new apex ?

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I’m currently running the 2016 apex system on my Red Sea reefer 350. I just ordered a custom tank that is going to run side by side with the 350 reefer( or at least in the same room) however they will be separately plumbed.

I read that you can run multiple tanks on one apex but wanted to know if someone can double check if this is what I need. I’m look to have the energy bar since I could plug all of the new tanks equipment into a separate power bar and want to read the ph and temp.

Does it make sense to spend 470 dollars on all of that or is it better to invest into another apex? Trying to understand what makes more sense here. Saving money is ideal but not if it will cause a headache for me in the long run ahaha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8F546839-C4F4-4657-B616-B890B271EA1B.png

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed you can! I’m running my tank and automated mixing station from the same Apex. The mixing station is about 12 feet above and 6 feet to the side of the tank. So long as you can connect the second tank’s equipment via aquabus cable to your main tank, this is a great way of utilizing the Apex across more than one application.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That looks right. But if something were to go wrong with the Apex, it will affect both tanks.

You are already more than 1/2 way to a complete new system with all 3 probes. To monitor salinity you would need the PM2 and a probe and ORP will be another PM1 and a probe.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That looks right. But if something were to go wrong with the Apex, it will affect both tanks.

You are already more than 1/2 way to a complete new system with all 3 probes. To monitor salinity you would need the PM2 and a probe and ORP will be another PM1 and a probe.

Yeah well that the only thing is if I decide to ever sell it I think I could at least some of the money back with selling a whole kit.

However would I have two separate apex fusion accounts if I decided to buy an additional apex?

Also it’s going towards a frag tank so I feel temp and ph is all I really need to monitor as I check salinity all the time anyways.

I guess it’s just something to think about. Thank you though!

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a similar setup to what you are looking to do......though all of my tanks are plumbed together, I have temp, salinity, and pumps for my water change station (2 tanks, 315 gal). I run everything on 1 apex and label the equipment based on which set of tanks it is on.

JustSomeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my apex on 2 tanks. Second tank to save 100 I bought the eb8. Eb8 does not show exact electric usage from each outlet like the 832 does but it does work.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two tanks on one Apex for a while when I was upgrading from my 29g tank to my current 120g. The only thing to watch out for is that you know which probes are in which tank, etc. So when I was doing this, I used the prefix "D_" for my new "display" tank and "F_" for my 29g "frag" tank. So D_pH and F_pH, etc.

If you can dedicate EB832's etc. to each tank, the new Apex 2016 makes it easier to identify which outlet you're programming is on which EB832 etc.

As long as you're careful, no problem here :)

You can save some bucks by going with an EB8 vs. and EB832 and getting basic probes vs. the more expensive double junction. You can probably save a couple bucks too if you find a generic 30ft USB cable, but I looked for a couple minutes and that seems to be pretty much the going price, and then anything I found cheaper, the cost of shipping made up the difference.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two tanks on one Apex for a while when I was upgrading from my 29g tank to my current 120g. The only thing to watch out for is that you know which probes are in which tank, etc. So when I was doing this, I used the prefix "D_" for my new "display" tank and "F_" for my 29g "frag" tank. So D_pH and F_pH, etc.

If you can dedicate EB832's etc. to each tank, the new Apex 2016 makes it easier to identify which outlet you're programming is on which EB832 etc.

As long as you're careful, no problem here :)

You can save some bucks by going with an EB8 vs. and EB832 and getting basic probes vs. the more expensive double junction. You can probably save a couple bucks too if you find a generic 30ft USB cable, but I looked for a couple minutes and that seems to be pretty much the going price, and then anything I found cheaper, the cost of shipping made up the difference.

Thanks for all those tips! Also thank you to everyone who has put in their own two cents ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back