Murder Crab advice

Tomhodg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've recently slowly been adding a cleanup crew to my tank, namely 2 hermit crabs, 6 snails and a shrimp.

Today I spotted my hermit crab straight up murder the shrimp and one of my snails have disappeared with a shell on the bottom fo my tank.

This boy here is the culprit, what should I do? I spoke to a buddy who has a reef tank and said to give him to a pet store as he will murder pretty much any cleanup crew that I add to the tank (he could tell by the claws?).

What should I do?

20200531_223038.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find divided opinions on crabs. What kind of shrimp was it? Did you watch the crab kill the shrimp or was it consuming it's body? Crabs can/will definitely kill snails for their shells. That's why it's always a good idea that if you decide to keep the crab, I would sprinkle a variety of sizes of empty shells for him to choose from. It's up to you whether you want to return him or not- on some tanks I do snails only to avoid predation, whereas on my current tank I have a mix of snails and crabs- as long as I keep the crabs well fed and have plenty of extra houses for them to choose from, I haven't seen them kill any snails.

OP
OP
T

Tomhodg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find divided opinions on crabs. What kind of shrimp was it? Did you watch the crab kill the shrimp or was it consuming it's body? Crabs can/will definitely kill snails for their shells. That's why it's always a good idea that if you decide to keep the crab, I would sprinkle a variety of sizes of empty shells for him to choose from. It's up to you whether you want to return him or not- on some tanks I do snails only to avoid predation, whereas on my current tank I have a mix of snails and crabs- as long as I keep the crabs well fed and have plenty of extra houses for them to choose from, I haven't seen them kill any snails.

I witnessed the killing... personally, I'm leaning towards removing him completely and as I said returning him, I have a smaller hermit crab too which I'll keep in the tank.

This is my first ever tank, I personally wanted a community of peaceful fish and the worry of having my cleanup crew killed isnt really my plan.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup- in that case, he'd either go to sump patrol or I'd trade him to the LFS for them to put him in a predator or FOWLR tank.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would increase feeding and get empty shells in the tank. If it did indeed kill the shrimp then I'm sure it was a lack of food. I have a tank full of hermits, crabs, snails, shrimp, and have not encountered this. I have scarletts, red legs, blue legs, emeralds, ect.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back