Mushroom DEATH

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I need your help. So I have been talking with a few friends in the hobby and each of them has started to lose 1 or 2 random mushroom. What happens is that they just start to melt away from the mouth first. From my understanding the parameters were right on and only 1 or 2 were affected. Almost like a brown jelly type disease. Has anyone heard of this before or have had similar issues. I just think that is a weird coincidence.

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I am not looking for a solution for these guys I am looking for other people who may have had these issues and if they did anything or found any solutions.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully if there is an increased incidence of corallimorphs failing related to a disease process hobbyist will see this thread and contribute their experience. As saltyfilmfolks pointed out there are so many variables to consider and correlate. Such as were all these hobbyist using LED's? I would love to see some images contributed as well.
Microbiology and the disease process is a fascinating subject (well to me anyway).

Personally the only time I had issues with corallimorphs was from over illumination.

Following. :)

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully if there is an increased incidence of corallimorphs failing related to a disease process hobbyist will see this thread and contribute their experience. As saltyfilmfolks pointed out there are so many variables to consider and correlate. Such as were all these hobbyist using LED's? I would love to see some images contributed as well.
Microbiology and the disease process is a fascinating subject (well to me anyway).

Personally the only time I had issues with corallimorphs was from over illumination.

Following. :)

Yup this was exactly my point of doing the thread. Let me try to scrounge up any pics that they took. I know two of them had leds and the other had t5s. I just thought it was weird that they would degenerate from the mouth.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I am not looking for a solution for these guys I am looking for other people who may have had these issues and if they did anything or found any solutions.
Understood. Without Photos of the malady it difficult to pin point. Without specifics on the tanks it can become conjecture. Many run aggressive carbon and mechanical filtration or use peroxide and dissolve organics from the WC. shrooms eat that stuff and the peroxide too imo.
+100 love that stuff. brown jelly often seems to be dead coral though.

agreed, so I upped my nutrients and the came back.
FWIW im still under Old school MH light levels, or on the border.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 106 43.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back