Mushroom prices went up?

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has mushroom prices went up? I thought I got a steal from a LFS for a blue mushroom and went I was browsing the forum I saw about 2016 that these shrooms were like 10 dollars and 20 dollars for a rock full of them. Im still happy because I cant find a blue mushroom around here but it seemed like they were so common back in the day

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that coral prices are coming down, compared to what they were during the covid years. But I don't think we will ever return to the pre-covid prices. This is the new normal.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has mushroom prices went up? I thought I got a steal from a LFS for a blue mushroom and went I was browsing the forum I saw about 2016 that these shrooms were like 10 dollars and 20 dollars for a rock full of them. Im still happy because I cant find a blue mushroom around here but it seemed like they were so common back in the day
From what I notice in my area, shrooms are becoming popular again.

ravila101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here , I bought a blue mushroom 2 weeks ago for $20. From what I’ve seen these were very common back then and even not wanted just like gsp or Xenia but if you’re lucky enough you’ll find someone that hooks it up! Recently picked up a jawbreaker for $30!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like prices rise and fall a lot depending on popularity and demand for whatever coral it is. There are some classics that always seem to be be popular and pricing seems to stay consistent, but "fads" and "trends" come and go and then come back around. Maybe mushrooms are the new bell-bottoms! :D

We just had a swap this past weekend, and I was talking to a friend about this very thing. We were discussing torches specifically, as prices on torches were about half what they were a year or two ago. Last time I fragged my torches (over a year ago), I listed, say, a head of NY Knicks for $150 and sold them all locally in an hour. At the swap they were going for almost half that. Zoas were the same way.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sad my regular blue mushroom I got is gone. He flew off the frag flag in the middle of the night

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think mushrooms are becoming in vogue again for whatever reason. I love them. Sometimes they're valuable other times not. Almost always IMO a no name mushroom is more interesting to grow out than one of the named trendy mushrooms as they come in a VAST variety of colors, growth patterns, and reproduction rates

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it will still be a supply / demand dictating the price. Depending on the strain mushrooms can easily propagate. People cannot mark it up too crazy or nobody will buy from them if someone else can sell for a fraction of price .

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came back to the hobby after ten years and was shocked about mushrooms. Mushrooms used to be the cheap cheap coral. Like, cheaper than GSP and Xenia cheap. The prices now are comical to me. I've got it in my head that mushrooms are cheap, and I won't pay current prices for them, so I have no mushrooms now.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came back to the hobby after ten years and was shocked about mushrooms. Mushrooms used to be the cheap cheap coral. Like, cheaper than GSP and Xenia cheap. The prices now are comical to me. I've got it in my head that mushrooms are cheap, and I won't pay current prices for them, so I have no mushrooms now.
I get confused when I read posts or hear comments on stuff like this. I’ve heard people criticize bounce mushrooms “strapping crazy names to mushrooms and charging 300$ a frag”
Those same people will be selling high end acros and torches. $400+ Acropora frags and $1000 torches with crazy names. What’s the difference? Lmaoo

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Popp's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot more "come backers" and first time reefers being sold on the beginner corals (mushrooms). Then add the infinite Nano tanks being sold. Boom supply demand for shrooms. Ricordea especially.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot more "come backers" and first time reefers being sold on the beginner corals (mushrooms). Then add the infinite Nano tanks being sold. Boom supply demand for shrooms. Ricordea especially.
I feel like regular orange ricordea used to be 20-30$ and now it’s 60+

I definitely bought a rock, like a 1 lb rock, covered in orange ricordea for 60 or 80$ around 10 years ago

Nothing comes on rock chunks anymore. It’s plugs and those extra tiny micro plugs lol

Popp's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I definitely bought a rock, like a 1 lb rock, covered in orange ricordea for 60 or 80$ around 10 years ago

Nothing comes on rock chunks anymore. It’s plugs and those extra tiny micro plugs lol
:D Yup so true.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m selling a rock with 10+ heads for 40$ right now if you’re interested

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get confused when I read posts or hear comments on stuff like this. I’ve heard people criticize bounce mushrooms “strapping crazy names to mushrooms and charging 300$ a frag”
Those same people will be selling high end acros and torches. $400+ Acropora frags and $1000 torches with crazy names. What’s the difference? Lmaoo

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Oh, I would never touch any of that. I would never consider buying a frag of anything for over 100$. There's just too much out there for cheap now, and crazy acid trip names don't impress me. Where I live there are way too many hobbyists selling frags for prices to be high. When I see things going for prices like that I just laugh and move on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back