Mushrooms coexistence with other corals

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’d like to know if anyone here has had any issues with Mushroom corals attacking nearby corals. I personally have never had an issue. They seem to get along with any corals I’ve set next to them so far. Just looking to see what others experience has been with these corals. Much appreciated. Thanks. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys, I’d like to know if anyone here has had any issues with Mushroom corals attacking nearby corals. I personally have never had an issue. They seem to get along with any corals I’ve set next to them so far. Just looking to see what others experience has been with these corals. Much appreciated. Thanks. :)
I have had some to close to coral and left a bald spot on that coral. Main one is hairy mushroom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Neptunium93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i had my old red sea max 250, i had a colony of hairy mushroom that would kill anything near it even galaxy or echinata:(

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some blue discosoma slowly take out hundreds of fire and ice zoa...the tank was 30" deep so difficult to help out with the battle

Vapox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the type, it may do little to no harm and it could also irritate corals till until they die especially if they are the type to spread fast. Just like everything in your tank, you have to monitor their behavior and move accordingly or just outright get rid of it before it causes more damage.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust them. I have green striped and red mushrooms. They both coexist together, but the greens have a truce with brown button palys, they both tolerate being close, but I think the mushrooms make the palys close more. They will cover GSP and make them close.

Softies like nephia and colt seem to get along, but those usually grow above the mushrooms.

I don't dare have them get established in zoa country. I had one pop up in some midnight suns which are still alive, but I want to get rid of it.

I planted a small frag of hammer between some mushrooms and palys, no one is really winning, the palys may be closing up more though, due to the hammer.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis are always up to no good in mine.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mixed results. The shading that mushrooms cause can be troublesome. Some varieties will sting nearby corals as well. I had some purple discosoma take over a lot space in a 75 gallon years ago. Also had some giant fuzzy mushrooms in that same tank, one of which caught and ate a midas blennys. That one mushroom was over 8 inches in diameter. The fish, barely 2 inches long.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back