Mushrooms slowly detaching

JCrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on with my tank, but I'm slowly getting my shrooms detaching one by one. It started off with one detaching, and then afterwards, the ones that were near it started to detach.

The initial one that detached eventually melted and is gone now. Has anyone had this before? My parameters have stayed consistent the past couple months, so I'm not really sure what to do to stop this.

It started off with a jawbreaker, but now it seems to be doing it with a bounce.

I've been consistently doing water changes each week (approximately 15%) and have just done a larger one (30%) to hopefully help things heal.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
JCrew

JCrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. It's a bit under a rock and I've turned off a pump. They've also been there for a while too, but for some reason all of a sudden are having issues.

Sy81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to me but the one that broke off the island in the sand is now latched on to the main rock work and now one is two, But because I didn't catch it in time now I can't get them off. I was just think it is a way of spreading?

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights do you have?
And can you take a pic of your tank and point out the pumps and mushrooms?
Have you recently changed anything?

For now, try putting the detached mushrooms in a little cup filled with rubble or sand on the sandbed...

OP
OP
JCrew

JCrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mushroom melted already... and I think it infected another one somehow because the same process is happening to it. I'll try to get some pictures today.

Running a kessil 160 for lighting. Haven't changed anything recently either.

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need pics of tank and point out shrooms as mentioned above...

Anything new (corals, or other) that recently added? Did you test the new water going into the tank prior? Almost sounds like there may have been a contaminant... Just throwing ideas out there.

How does everything else look?

OP
OP
JCrew

JCrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21463407_685073145024827_5899708467808308198_n.jpg

An older tank shot. Biocube. I put the shrooms in the bottom left on a frag rack. They seemed to be happy for a while.

I added a jawbreaker before everything started going haywire. That one seemed to detach afterwards, but it didn't melt (at least yet). I've purchased from them before a past shroom, and that one has been doing fine (granted it detached as well). I usually iodine dip before adding new coral to the cube, but I honestly can't remember if I did that last jb.

The pump on the right side was also disabled after the shroom was starting to detach (approximately 25% of the foot detached when it was disabled)

Everything else in the tank seems fine, other than I lost 2 heads on the candy cane.

I know the pump placement might not be optimal, but lmk any suggestions. Just winging it 4 months in.

OP
OP
JCrew

JCrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water tests have been consistent too. 400-420 Calcium, 6-7 alk, my phosphates are 1.0-1.5 ish, but I don't have any sps (or barely any), Ni 0... 1.025-1.026. I test about 1x per week. I used to test twice (before a water change and after) to see if there's a variance, but numbers were pretty consistent.

I've been keeping up with 5g changes every week of IO.

I've also invested in some hanna checkers for more of an exact measurement, but going to be migrating to another tank.

21462898_685073158358159_6873321302758356309_n.jpg

I placed the melting shroom in my IM20, thinking maybe it would have had a better chance. No luck. This one is running a AI Prime light (not sure if it's HD or what). Since it was already detached, I put it in a container, but just continued to melt away.

Thanks for the input everyone. Granted the shroom is gone, I just want to make sure moving forward, I have more ideas on a solution for the situation or take more precautions.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue for months. Ive lost 2 candy crush's, three JB's, electus and 4 Kryptonites. Yes, you read that list right. It's so aggravating.

OP
OP
JCrew

JCrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Yeah, I'm too depressed to keep track right now. Have you done anything to help slow down the rate?

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue for months. Ive lost 2 candy crush's, three JB's, electus and 4 Kryptonites. Yes, you read that list right. It's so aggravating.

Wow. I feel your pain.

Ouch. Yeah, I'm too depressed to keep track right now. Have you done anything to help slow down the rate?

Have you tried feeding? This helps my new additions stay in good condition til they settle. Though honestly some never seem to and hold steady partially attached.

I also vaguely feel different mushrooms prefer different substrates. Sometimes trying plastic, or different types of rubble/rock in a cup worked for me. Once it's on a little piece of something, they're easier to move to different places without losing them.

Christopher Azzopardi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. Chemistry seems good. Doubting the recent introduction of a bubble tip might be releasing toxins given its a small tank 80l plus sump, or lighting as colours are washed. Not sure what I can do wet to bubble tip. Already do water changes every week for 15%.

Thanks for feedback

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back