Sick Clam!

LilReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned this clam for around 12 months and have today noticed a huge issue. It seems to be retracted into its shell but won’t close it’s shell (I’ve tried bumping its shell, moving it, gently poking the lip with a syringe but nothing makes it move its shell)
Two or so months ago I noticed it had detached it’s “foot” from the rock under it, but considered it was fine since it still looked healthy after two weeks. My local marine fish shop said that it probably wasn’t of any concern if it still looked healthy so I left it at that.
I ended up gently picking it up to get a closer look and it still didn’t close. It looks like it has started to detach from it’s shell? Half of the bottom is basically detached and I’m extremely worried and not sure what to do. Is there anything I can do to help it??
I didn’t notice sooner because I’ve been caught up with schoolwork, so I hope it isn’t too late :(

IMG_3899.jpeg IMG_3901.jpeg IMG_3894.jpeg IMG_3896.jpeg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to tell ya but that clam is lost cause... if the clam isn't closing and or reacting at all it is likely already dead... remove it from the aquarium and let it dry outside for a few days. Get all the gunk off and bleach it. And add it to the "reefers graveyard"

Edit* also do the sniff test... if its rotten its... rotten

OP
OP
L

LilReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to tell ya but that clam is lost cause... if the clam isn't closing and or reacting at all it is likely already dead... remove it from the aquarium and let it dry outside for a few days. Get all the gunk off and bleach it. And add it to the "reefers graveyard"

Edit* also do the sniff test... if its rotten its... rotten
When I have touched it, it does move a bit but it just doesn’t close. Im really worried because it was quite expensive when I got it :(
Is there nothing at all that I can try to do?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have touched it, it does move a bit but it just doesn’t close. Im really worried because it was quite expensive when I got it :(
Is there nothing at all that I can try to do?
Not to my experience. I had a maxima do something very similar, one day i woke up to a half empty shell :(

Last edited:

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clam has not been well for a long time, since there is no new shell growth, even on the inside of the shell. If I would guess it would be light starvation.

I agree that this clam is a lost cause unfortunately :(

What is the species, crocea? Do you know how much par the clam was getting? Maybe a picture of before it was closed up?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starvation. They hang on for a long time until it's too much. As mentioned, no new shell growth and it slowly starved to death. There should never be coralline algae on the top/edge of the shell like yours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back