Clam advice pls!! bring nipped at

  • Thread starter Thread starter faiz_latif
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

faiz_latif

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2023
Messages
64
Reaction score
26
Location
canada
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clam was nipped at by a rouge chromis. Who has since met the concrete… jk he’s in the sump. However he seems to have done a number on the clam. It is still responsive to light and actively extending however I’m worried/curious about supporting its recovery. There is mucus secreted from the wounded area however not a large amount like a slimer or something like that. Additionally I’m weary of the other chromis, what are the chances they start off? The one removed was skinny and looked to be hiding behind the clam and nipping at it. I think it may have been due to lower feedings (I’ve bought an auto feeder to make sure they’re well fed). I’ve attached photos of the clam nipped at and when it was happy. The unhappy photos are before the chromis was removed and now after the chromis is out and it’s not being pestered. The happy photo was from a few months ago.

Lots of writing but I hope the detail helps thanks guys.

IMG_9787.jpeg IMG_9785.jpeg IMG_7925.jpeg
 
Mantle looks fine but I'm not seeing much new white growth which is really the only way to tell a clam is growing and is healthy, mantle extension alone will not. If the clam starts having problems I wouldn't solely blame the chromis. Also, many fish are attracted to the thin mucus layers tridacna can produce, even the most reef safe fish can't resist a nibble time to time. My purple tang and even my maroon clownfish that lived in my large squamosa would nibble here and there but wouldn't cause any real damage. The problem would be if a fish really tore into the mantle or constantly bit at the mantle causing the clam to constantly retract and stress it out. I hope the clam grows for many years to come, that's a beautiful Maxima you have.
 
My derasa moved itself next to my ruby red xenia, which quickly attached itself to its shell... they sort of folded over to the other side shell.

Removed clam from its new friend and within a few hours it was wide open and happy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new