OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good suggestion to have a generator. Although I think that one falls under the "luxury" list.

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Reef Octopus Water Blaster return pumps. It has been a work horse.

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO/ Carbon reactors are NOT a Must have IMO. one can put this product in a baggie in the sump. I successfully kept my 75g tank for 4 years with no water change, no skimmers and NO Carbon or GFO. I had Crazy SPS and LPS growth in the tank. Only reason I dont have it today is due to it being sold when we moved. I still miss the simplicity of that tank.

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started Bill (poolkeeper) told me about SPS - Stability Promotes Success. I would base my list on things that are required for stability of parameters. Not necessarily the best equipment. I have seen rocking tanks with $20 power heads for flow (H@rry) and many very marginal tanks with >$600 in powerheads. so here goes

parameter to maintain stable
all- as much water vol as you can muster!!!! plum your 5gal nano into a 200gal sump in the garage- cold minvans build tuff children
temperature- a good heater (jagger) and controller (any)
nutrients- an ok (great is not required) skimmer and a biopellet reactor
ca/alk- a trashcan full of Kalk water for topoff
salinity- ATO backed up with the PH probe from controller.....i like to lock PH at 8.5 if i have enough evaporation
sanity- QT tank
lighting- buy good bulbs (I like reflux 12k and radium)

IMO everything else is gravy and gravy is good (love me a tunze wavebox)

IMO everything else is a luxury and you can go cheap

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot good test kits. i like red sea for ca, hanna for PO4, and API for Alk.
also need a way to test salt content......any will work

also a cheap battery backup for your powerhead is a very high priority nice to have

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trashcan full of kalk!!! LOL, he aint kidding. 32 Gallon Brute for Bart.

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned one thing today if you have back up equipment test it test it test it and test it again just to make sure it works right and if you need it you know it will work

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned one thing today if you have back up equipment test it test it test it and test it again just to make sure it works right and if you need it you know it will work

Very good point Keith.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of things for success. Can be acquired many ways. I say patience and a good eye are the most important. If you can look at your tank and know something isn't right,and to not rush into making a sudden change that can affect your whole system..... It is so enjoyable to achieve what you want but so disappointing at times when you lose something. FOWLR is no problem as long as you spend a little time. but a reef requires some effort. Some systems work better than others and require little maintenance. I am so new to this hobby, have had fish tanks for many years but reefing is so much more. very good thread

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember if anyone mentioned 5gal water buckets ... but they seem to be a necessity to me. I have some I keep pure ro/di in for top off (I use the BLUE lowes ones) and then the white TSC ones are for salt mixed water and I have green ones for 'dirty' water and just junk buckets.

Today Jason asked if I had ENOUGH buckets in case of an disaster (tank blowout or something) .... yikes I hope nice is enough.

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if anyone mentioned a UPS? As in "Uninterrupted Power Supply", not big brown truck. Awesome piece of equipment to have for short power outages. I wish I'd had one last week when my power went out and my check valve failed...

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say bio pellet and algae scrubber is a must if you planing to have lots of fish and feed a lot which I think is the way to go on a reef.

justgotwet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think also a battery powered air pump is also good for power outs and if you go to a frag swap you may need one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back