D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to make 2 lists now.

One for things are a "given", like good lighting, good heater etc.

Then one list for things that you dont have to have but make your success all that much easier.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I know that some may consider this a luxury, but having a controller to me is Very important. now that I have one, I dont know how I got along without it. and i wish I had plugs for more devices.

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider reactors for gfo/carbon ect. a must have

I was thinking we should make a "best of" or "must have" list of equipment that you think helps make you a successful reefer. Some things are looked at as luxuries or not necessary, but then once you get them, you wonder how you went that long without it. Also I think their is always going to be opinions on what is better or more reliable, but with a lot of things in this hobby, you get what you pay for. So let's post what we have had great experiences with, and even mention things that you shouldnt waste your money on.

I will update the list as we add to it. Go!

Must Haves

1. Quality Heater- Eheim jager
2. Quality Test Kits for ALL parameters- Salifert, Hanna, Red Sea, and actually use them.
3. RO/DI- BRS, Spectrapure, Buckeye Field Supply
4. Protein Skimmer- Reef Octopus, SWC, Vertex, Bubble Magus, Tunze, Reef Dynamics
5. Refractometer-
6. Quality Lighting- T5 bulbs-ATI, Geissmen-- LED- not 1watt- Metal Halide-phoenix,ushio, hamilton
7. Power Heads- Tunze, Ecotech, Hydor
8. Return Pumps- Ecoplus, Danner Mag, reeflo, eheim, iwaki
9. Sump
10. Algae Turf Scrubber--DIY-Santa Monica

Luxury equipment

1. ATO--Tunze, JBJ, DIY
2. Controller- APEX, DA Reefkeepers, Reef Angel, Profilux
3. Dosing Pumps- BRS, Drews Doser, Bubble Magus, Marine Magic
4. Calcium Reactor- GEO- Vertex-Reef Octopus
5. Media Reactors for Carbon and GFO and Bio-pellets--Reef octopus, Avast Marine, BRS, TLF, JNS
6. Zeovit Reactor--Korallen Zucht, Bubble Magus, Vertex
7. Kalk Reactor-TLF, GEO

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that a GFO reactor is a must have. I run them on my tanks so obviously its a must have for me. I think the reason for GFO, a phosphate reducer, is one of the many things that could be used to do so. I would say some time of phosphate reducer is a must. Same as Nitrate reducer. A sump/refugium, protein skimmer, biopellets isn't a must but I'd say it would he difficult to have to rely on purely water changes to keep your nitrates down.

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, must haves are a short list, and probably the most obvious;
1. 0 TDS water
2. Quality synthetic salt mix
Both 1&2 can be replaced with clean, natural seawater.
3. Some kind of box to hold water
4. Porous biomedia such as coral (live) rock. Dry, or wet. Other biomedia can also work, but not as well in my opinion.
5. Lighting that reaches the coral's needs for proper growth. eg wavelength and intensity.
6. Something to create proper water movement.
7. Chemicals to maintain proper water conditions for coral growth. This varies greatly...
8. Water test kits or equipment to know what chemicals to add.
9. Some sort of algae eating cleanup crew. I'm sure this can be argued, but I think it is best for the results they give.
10. Some way to control phosphates and nitrogenous wastes. This can be done a number of ways.

All else just makes things easier for us in my opinion. Although, I wrote this in haste, and may have missed something. If I did, I'm sure someone will point it out. :)

Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can't completely replace #1, as you need topoff water.

Brent \><{{{{*>

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot temp control of some sort. Heater, chiller, or stable room temp are all ways to accomplish this. Which you need depends on your climate and situation.

Brent \><{{{{*>

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe so...Anybody else think it's a must have??

I think I would reserve the title "must have" for things that you cannot run a tank without (stuff that should be bought before adding any livestock). For example, one person might rely on the reactors, but there are definitely people who keep successful tanks without them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as powerheads I am very pleased with the Sicce Voyager 4's; they are very quiet and never run backward or klunk. My brand new Koralia run backwards. I have to to turn them on about five times every time to get it to run forward. Very displeased with the new Koralia!

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, lights are extremely important, but not considering the color you will see, I watched a club member use a 2 bulb 48" shop light with great growth. The color was not what you would want, but growth was great. No acros, but zoas, lps, and some sps.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd highly recommend a book (or two!). Most of us don't know enough when we start out and a good book would help.

I'd suggest one reference book such as The Conscientious Marine Aquarist and one "livestock book" such as the Pocket Guides or Sprung's coral and invert books.

At least a good all-in-one book like Paletta's current one.

-Matt

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back