Must Knows / Perparation

reefween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively new to saltwater (cycling process is done, two clowns are in, 35 gallon tank).

I feel like I watch a ton of videos, do tons of research on Google and YouTube, but all I see is videos and discussions surrounding the cycling process. Seems to be a lack of info on what to look out for, what to be aware of, next steps AFTER cycling is done. I've been checking my levels every two days (I know. It's a lot but these YouTubers scared me to death about ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites).

Anyone have tips when it comes to getting your first coral? Any videos that you found super useful when getting into them? (please none about cycling). Any forums on here or discussions elsewhere you found useful to read on the whole coral adding process (compatibility, etc.)?

IMG_5495.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the search function on this site here. There’s so much information here. Try and stay off YouTube. Look at your numbers and see what others have had responses from.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that your cycle is ready, you will want to pave the way for your substrate and rock to accept coral. Now is the best time to do this.

Add copepods/amphipods. They will take care of the next issue you will face, being diatoms. Your diatom bloom will happen typically a couple weeks to a month after the end of your nitrogen cycle being established.

Common miscommunication, your cycle is not OVER... your cycle is established. Ongoing process.

From there, add a bali green slimer. Literally the hardiest coral I've ever owned. See if someone can frag you a fresh cut, or go to a swap. No reason someone nearby shouldn't be harvesting trims and giving them away. Stuff grows like weeds. If you do have to buy it, no biggie.

OP
OP
reefween

reefween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that your cycle is ready, you will want to pave the way for your substrate and rock to accept coral. Now is the best time to do this.

Add copepods/amphipods. They will take care of the next issue you will face, being diatoms. Your diatom bloom will happen typically a couple weeks to a month after the end of your nitrogen cycle being established.

Common miscommunication, your cycle is not OVER... your cycle is established. Ongoing process.

From there, add a bali green slimer. Literally the hardiest coral I've ever owned. See if someone can frag you a fresh cut, or go to a swap. No reason someone nearby shouldn't be harvesting trims and giving them away. Stuff grows like weeds. If you do have to buy it, no biggie.
Wow, this helped so much more than like 99% of videos I've been watching on YouTube lol! Thank you :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back