My 15gal Nano Reef Tank Build

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200927_125347_HDR.jpg

Just over halfway through my cycle. By week 2 I found 5 tiny feather dusters and 6 more problematic vermatid snails on my live rock. I clipped the snails with tweezers as close to the base as possible and filled their trap doors with super glue gel (must be cyanoactylate from what I researched). Since I'm starting to see a good build up of algae I'm going to add some copepods on day 12 and supplement them with phytoplankton until its time to add the fish in hopes to increase biological filtration. I plan on adding a pair of clownfish after first cycle completion followed by CUC a few weeks

Here's a pic of one of the vermatid snails, they can become extremely destructive to corals:
20200925_214907~2.jpg

Had my wife remodel my aquascape because she's awesome! Definitely feels like a more natural/balanced look in my opinion!

20200927_191753.jpg

Day 12 taking an ammonia reading before adding copepods. It looks like its <.3 so I might wait a few days for pods.

Day 14 we drip acclimated 2 clownfish chosen by my twin 9 year old boys and into the cycled tank they go! I was going to wait 24 hours before feeding them but they instantly started goin to town on the Triggerpod copepods I added day 13.

20201002_180420.jpg

Day 40 I had been noticing on and off signs of Ich on one of my clowns I made the mistake of rushing the process and my new QT tank was 3 weeks into cycle. I treated the tank with seachem paraguard for 2 days + 1 day off and my clown with ich looked to have completely cleared up of parasites but it came back in larger numbers the very next day. At this point Ive got my tank set to 86 degrees and would alternate tank treatments with dip treatments every other day. Once my QT tank was cycled I moved both clowns and the transfer was just too much for him and he didnt make it. I know now going forward (just like every experienced guy in this forum will say) its best to be patient and take all proper protocol to a T. Now I use the ammonia dosing method to guarantee water parameters stabilizing within 12 hours on freshly cycled tanks. 20201206_151931.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200927_125347_HDR.jpg

Just over halfway through my initial tank cycle. By week 2 I found 5 tiny feather dusters and 6 more problematic vermatid snails in my 1 piece of live rock. I clipped the snails with tweezers as close to the base as possible and filled their trap doors with super glue gel (must be cyanoactylate from what I researched). Since I'm starting to see a good build up of algae I'm going to add some copepods on day 12 and supplement them with phytoplankton until its time to add the fish in hopes to increase biological filtration. I plan on adding a pair of clownfish after first cycle completion followed by CUC a few wakes after then (if all goes well) soft corals a month later.

Here's a pic of one of the vermatid snails, they can become extremely destructive to corals:
20200925_214907~2.jpg

Had my wife remodel my aquascape because she's awesome definitely feels like a more natural/balanced look in my opinion!

20200927_191753.jpg

We have phytoplankton and copepods when you are ready. Let me know if you need help choosing the right ones. We have stores all over the country that carry us. If that doesn't work out, feel free to buy direct. Here is our website for more information: https://reefnutrition.com/

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
M

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have phytoplankton and copepods when you are ready. Let me know if you need help choosing the right ones. We have stores all over the country that carry us. If that doesn't work out, feel free to buy direct. Here is our website for more information: https://reefnutrition.com/

Best,
Chad
Oh very cool I actually ordered Trigger pods of your same brand from Amazon. If its more beneficial to you for me to go through that website I will be sure to do so in the future! Thanks! I ordered phytoplankton from a different source which I was unhappy with so I'll try yours out now!

OP
OP
M

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200927_125347_HDR.jpg

Just over halfway through my cycle. By week 2 I found 5 tiny feather dusters and 6 more problematic vermatid snails on my live rock. I clipped the snails with tweezers as close to the base as possible and filled their trap doors with super glue gel (must be cyanoactylate from what I researched). Since I'm starting to see a good build up of algae I'm going to add some copepods on day 12 and supplement them with phytoplankton until its time to add the fish in hopes to increase biological filtration. I plan on adding a pair of clownfish after first cycle completion followed by CUC a few weeks

20200925_214907~2.jpg

Had my wife remodel my aquascape because she's awesome! Definitely feels like a more natural/balanced look in my opinion!

20200927_191753.jpg

Day 12 taking an ammonia reading before adding copepods. It looks like its <.3 so I might wait a few days for pods.

Day 14 we drip acclimated 2 clownfish chosen by my twin 9 year old boys and into the cycled tank they go! I was going to wait 24 hours before feeding them but they instantly started goin to town on the Triggerpod copepods I added day 13.

20201002_180420.jpg

Attachments

• VID_149350604_161643_780.mp4
    23.1 MB

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congratulations on your new SW tank!! Your wife did a great job on the rock scape.

OP
OP
M

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update*

Have been gradually accumulating some corals, tank is stayin fallow for 4 more weeks due to marine velvet but in there now Ive got star polyps, a blue and tri color rhodactis, bubble coral, plasma cutter chalice, and a candy cane

20201110_102457.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back