My 180g peninsula build

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have enough things in place to go ahead and start a build thread..
First off is obviously the DT, 180g peninsula stlyle reef ready. I just could not find anything my wife and I could agree on so we decided to go with a custom build.. should have it in about four weeks..

Next is the the fun stuff so taking advantage of Black Friday specials I ordered
Apex Classic Controller
Reef Octopus 202 s8 skimmer
Finnex titanium heaters 800 watt x2
Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040 powerheads x2
8x8x4 marine pure ceramic biomedia x2
55lbs Reef Rock 2.1 (Will need more)
80lbs CaribSea Special Grade reef Sand
Jebco DCT 4000 pump
Rain 2 pole mountable ATS
Theiling Roller Mat media filter
BRS 6 stage RO/DI 75gpd
Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit x3
BRS 0.8 carbon
BRS mesh media bags
I also order some cheapo powerheads and heaters for curing rock and later a Qt tank

Still need a Sump, waiting till I get final dimensions on my DT stand before I decide how I want to design that.. plus I have already BLOWN my budget for this project and need to recover for a bit while I wait on things to start arriving.

Things on my wish list
Kessil a360we lights x3
Will definitely have a ATO but still unsure of which one to go with
Will of course add on to the Apex controller as the needs arise, i.e. doser, salinity probe, and such

I have to say tho Black Friday sales saved me over $500 bucks..

Anyone see anything glaring that I missed???

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signing up to follow along as I'm a sucker for a peninsula build. List looks good.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to this build.

BTW, I saved $1000's
2016-chevrolet-silverado-special-editions-embargoed-1480x551-06.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice equipment list! My next build is going to be a peninsula also, but I won't execute that plan for another 1.5 years. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terry4505 couple questions (or anyone that wants to chime in).

Are you pretty happy with your flow setup?? I have a couple different ideas for flow. The one I lean towards most is one output and one powerheads at each end of the tank.. but I really like how your setup looks to...

As of right now I am not planning on dosing GFO (other than the red Reef start up). Just mesh bags of carbon. No reactors.. is this a mistake?? I notice you stopped once your fuge was up and running, I don't have a fuge in my plans instead am hoping to start a ATS as soon as my tank is cycled.. should I be looking at carbon and GFO reactors??

Dosing alk, ca, etc... I am not much of a fan of SPS (sticks) or most softies... as of now most of my plans center around LPS, fish, CUC, and anemones... I'm sure later I will look more closely at some SPS but not for a while.. is dosing something I should be looking at in my build?? Or is that something that can be put off for later???

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) Yes, I am happy with the flow. In a perfect world, I would not need the returns and Gyre on the the far end of the tank, but I found a lot of surface scum to be building up before I added both. I need to upgrade to return pump, to take full advantage of the eductors, but yes, the flow is more than sufficient.

I like to run carbon, just in case there is any nasties in the water, chemical warfare between corals etc., but you're right, I ditched GFO when I set up the fuge and have been happy with it. Having a reactor is helpful. BRS did a video on the difference between running a reactor, and just tossing a bag in the sump. It was a dramatic difference.

Dosing can be put off until later. My tank was only consuming like 25 mls of each for about 6 months, and that was with a lot of SPS. I have started supplementing my Two-part with Kalk, which helps keep PH up.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update..

IMG_0224.JPG

This is where the 180 g tank is going to be set.. carpet is going to be changed out for laminated flooring hopefully the end of this week or sometime next..

IMG_0050.PNG

This is a mock up of what I am thinking (actually found this image on google images). With the light bar being made from 80/20..

Alas no call from the custom tank builder today so no word on that front but maybe tomorrow...

IMG_0225.JPG

This closet is going to be taken over and used as a quasi "fish room". I am going to drop a dedicated 20 amp circuit into here and run a water line here for my RO/DI unit.. I am also considering putting as much of my control systems in here as possible..

Only drawback to this whole locations is no access to a drain.. this home has a unique basement that is basically a concrete box.. great foundation but exceedingly hard to modify for something like a drain.. so as of right now I am just planning on using a hose and a pump to pump water away. Either to a bathroom drain or outside to the driveway.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Things are moving along. Decided on Planet Aquarium tank, now the next dilemma.. the rimmed tank is $1200.00. The rimless is $1700.00. Really want the rimless. The same shop has a cabinet maker that makes a really nice stand.. if I go with the rimmed I can afford the nice oak stand. If I DIY the stand (was a professional welder for 9 years) I can justify the rimless.. I've been thinking about the stand for a while I'm pretty sure I can make a nice one. Im a good welder not so much on woodworking...
is rimless worth it??? Opinions.....

Started getting stuff in today to
IMG_0229.JPG

And
IMG_0231.JPG

And
IMG_0230.JPG

Flooring guy is supposed to be here tomorrow to...

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer rimmed over rimless. I've had both. keeping that water line clean drove me nuts. That and the constant splashing on the glass from the mag float.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer rimmed over rimless. I've had both. keeping that water line clean drove me nuts. That and the constant splashing on the glass from the mag float.

Sorry I am not following I guess.. I understand the waterline. But the slashing on the glasss from the mag float?? What is that?? Something special you have to have for rimless tanks?? I have not come across that yet. Thanks for replying.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am not following I guess.. I understand the waterline. But the slashing on the glasss from the mag float?? What is that?? Something special you have to have for rimless tanks?? I have not come across that yet. Thanks for replying.

What I mean is that when using a magfloat to clean the inside of the glass, because there is no rim, the water spashes over the side of the tank. I too love the look of rimless tanks, and thought about one for my build, but I am so glad I decided against it. I had a rimless 80, and keeping the water line clean, and water off the outside of the glass drove me nuts.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is that when using a magfloat to clean the inside of the glass, because there is no rim, the water spashes over the side of the tank. I too love the look of rimless tanks, and thought about one for my build, but I am so glad I decided against it. I had a rimless 80, and keeping the water line clean, and water off the outside of the glass drove me nuts.

Lol ok sorry I am a bit slow this morning I guess. That is something I would have never thought of. Thank you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following and congrats!

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update..

So the tank is officially decided on and ordered, shop says about two weeks lead time. Went with the rimmed Planet Aquarium 180g custom build..
Part of the reason this has taken so much time is the stand. I have went to and fro about a bought wood stand, a square tubing stand of my own manufacture, and I spent a ton of time researching the aluminum 80/20 stands.. (which in the end cost way more than a nice store bought wood stand). I ended up going with the custom builder the LFS recommended.. They are gonna build it to my specs with doors on both sides and also a door on the end, plan is to put my control panel there..

Another plus, I think I may have found my LFS.. not very local 150 miles one way but that's the breaks when you live in small town America...

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0347.JPG
Pile is getting larger... going to start plumbing the water and drain lines tomorrow, also going to try and get the dedicated electric outlets ran.. Have received part of my 80/20 light rack, and have another large order from BRS, and plumbing materials from Formufit arriving Monday.. good god I didn't realize what I was getting myself into..

Told my wife tonight we need to get a another system in place for QT, she about came unglued!! Lol...

Question, do most of you QT your first CUC?? Or would a good rinse and repeat be sufficient?? I ask because I don't really want to set up two QT tanks right off the bat and I would like to get a pair of clowns bought and in QT soon so they are ready to go in when my cycle is complete.. I know once I have the system "established" I will have a coral/invert QT in place but I would like to put that off for a while..

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day of actual construction is in the books...Typically, I didn't get near as far as I wanted to but here we go!!

First off I bored a hole through my 8" concrete foundation so I could run electrical and eithernet into the standfrom the basement. I have been struggling on how to do this and keep everything looking nice and neat..

IMG_0348.JPG

The blue tape is obviously the outline where the DT will set, the smaller box is where the sump 'may go' can't really know until you actually start putting real pieces together.. The drains/returns will be next to the banister, but I also want the powerheads and any cables lights etc.running up that end and into the DT. That is why I am thinking plumbing back to the other end for the sump. That way all my electric cables will reach..

Next I ran another dedicated electrical line, and water/drain lines into my water closet..

IMG_0349.JPG

Drain line is hooked into the sump pump in the basement, but I got the wrong fittings to hook up the supply line.

Electric in the water closet and RO/DI unit to be installed tomorrow hopefully, would have got that done today but a "interruption" (just had to go try out a buddy's new Sig Saur.223) took a couple hours out of my afternoon... horrible I know....

Hopefully more tomorrow night, hope to be making water...

Back