My 195 gallon reboot

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after raising 2 kids that are off to college, the wife and I moved. Obviously this is a stressful event for any reefkeeper; more so if you’re a stick head like me. Most colonies were unfortunately lost.

So...onward as I start the process over. The tank is in a newly finished basement that I built out myself where I have multiple tanks that will house my addiction for SPS corals. The in wall display aquarium is a Coast to Coast Custom Aquarium with Eurobracing, corner overflow, starphire front measuring 72x26x24 (approximately 195 gallons). I’ve had this tank for 13 years. You get what you pay for and Pat at Coast to Coast is unrivaled in his passion and craftsmanship. My only regret is not taking pictures of it in its glory but the past is the past.

specs:

Tank: 195 gallon (72x26x24) Eurobraced Coast to Coast Custom Aquarium, Starphire front panel, corner overflow.

Sump: Icecap 30” (2 four inch filter socks, skimmer chamber, return pump chamber, ato reservoir, Tunze Oamolator

Skimmer: Reef Octopus SRO 2000 INT with Bubble Blaster pump

Return Pump: Eheim 1262

Lighting: ATI Sunpower (4 bulb fixture) with 3 Blue Plus/One Purple Plus) flanked by 2 Reefbrite actinic Strips). Sorry...haven’t made the jump to LED’s just yet and don’t know if I ever will.

Powerheads: 2 Reef Octopus Octopulse 4’s on opposing sides

Biological filtration: approximately 110 pounds Carib Sea South Seas dry rock, 100 pounds Bimini Pink sand

(all monitored by Apex)

Methodology: well, I’m admittedly old school in many approaches but one thing I’ve done differently in this aquarium is rely heavily on bottled bacteria products. From the onset, I cycled the tank with Brightwell MB7 and a few fish I brought over from the move: (Powder Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Foxface Lo, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish). I want the system to establish itself before I add more delicate fish like Anthias and wrasses I’ll be putting in quarantine the next couple weeks. Once I was through the MB7 initial dosing stage I introduced Brightwell’s Microbacter Clean; not because I needed it, but simply because I’ve done dry rock setups before and the dinoflagellates stage is not a fun rabbit hole in wished to jump down again. What I’ve learned over the years is that Dinos love a new tank with dry rock, negligible nutrients and low biodiversity. So...with that in mind (as in previous dry rock systems where I’ve had success) I dosed potassium nitrate until I was reading at least 10 ppm consistently even with dosing both bacterial cultures on a weekly schedule. So far...so good. The tank was set up November 15th. I firmly believe that if one is up to the challenge, adding corals helps introduce bacteria that help a tank stabilize. I also have had good success running a higher alkalinty (@10 dkh) at the onset of a new dry rock reef as I believe a higher ph and alkalinty with nutrients in the water pushes through the ugly stage. So far. So good. I hope to get much better at taking pictures and will strive to update this thread every Friday.

yes...I know this isn’t a lot of light for sticks but I’ve always done more harm to SPS corals with too much light rather than not enough. Seeing videos of Jason Fox running 4 T5 bulbs and reefbrites gave me the confidence to give it a try with a 4 bulb ATI fixture I previously had over a shallow holding system. I realize I’m moving faster than most and have already introduced many, many corals. It’s my opinion that the biodiversity introduced at the onset by adding corals once a calculated routine has been established is the best way to get through an ugly stage. I’ve replicated it in the past and hope to do it again here. Sorry for the wordiness. On to some pictures.

1B27B4EC-D5AD-4A9F-BCF4-2D3ECEA2325B.jpeg 1582F438-1083-49C8-B5EE-868B200BBFD6.jpeg E336D956-E052-4E1D-8877-15B4B0A5AC49.jpeg A08C5DB9-9F9C-4ADF-861C-379585843817.jpeg A286A6A8-6C18-41C2-A0AA-D7D3C499D194.jpeg 2C5380DB-A7E0-43BD-972B-8DF9E9D70547.jpeg 1A1120F3-8D2C-43B0-A121-56F8FBE3ADBE.jpeg 51050E69-5DA1-4F64-A724-EF883BC86A9B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1631.MOV
    35.4 MB
OP
OP
njreefkeeper

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a long overdue update. The tank is just now starting to hit its stride and falling into a rhythm. Coralline algae is (FINALLY) showing up on my overflow box and parts of my glass. Many acropora are starting to color up now and starting to lay down some skin on the rock work. So far, my SPS list consists of:

ORA Birds of Paradise
ORA Purple Stylo
ATL Forest Fire Digitata
LRO Lunar Lemonade
BC Adam Bomb
CC Disney Jr.
ORA Purple Digitata
FHC Goldschlager
CC Voodoo Majick
WWC Pink Passion
FHC Lynyrd Skynyrd
JF Blowtorch
ARC Fireworks
UC Turquoise Tort
FHC Rastaman
RRC Rainbow Splice
JF Homewrecker
BC Space Laser
UC Hot Pink Hyacinthus
TGC Cherry Bomb
JF Bugout Stylo
German Blue Polyp Digitata
Tyree JKR Rainbow
FHC **** Show
Red Monti Cap
PC Rainbow
TC Cannon Fire Mille
RR Rainbow Loom
LRO Rocket Fuel
Greg Hiller Aquadelight
RRC Wonderland
Matt V Topaz
Greg’s Ultraviolet
Bali Green Slimer

LPS: assorted micromussa, ORA Red Goniopora, Green and Purple Blastomussa Merletti

Zoanthids: Armor of God (and an orange one I forgot the name of).

full tank shot...just a bunch of hopefuls right now.

Attachments

• 6A8466E1-79FC-4B82-94AA-08A95AB336A6.jpeg
    6A8466E1-79FC-4B82-94AA-08A95AB336A6.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
njreefkeeper

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things considered, very happy with the tank at 8 months old considering it’s 100% dry rock.

Attachments

• 58A669A3-613E-429D-A7E3-F7C80E088247.jpeg
    58A669A3-613E-429D-A7E3-F7C80E088247.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 50

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! I just recently switched from LED (Kessil AP700 paired with two reefbright actinics and two reefbright 50/50's) to T5 with two reef bright actinics and I'm loving it. So much so I'm considering sell the lighting I had planned for my SPS dominated build coming up to switch to T5's and LED bars of some sort. Do you find you're getting enough par with only a 4 bulb?

OP
OP
njreefkeeper

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! I just recently switched from LED (Kessil AP700 paired with two reefbright actinics and two reefbright 50/50's) to T5 with two reef bright actinics and I'm loving it. So much so I'm considering sell the lighting I had planned for my SPS dominated build coming up to switch to T5's and LED bars of some sort. Do you find you're getting enough par with only a 4 bulb?
Thank you!

To be honest with you, I stopped using my par meter over a year ago. I’ve come to learn that it does more harm than good. I have one tank with halides and another with an 8 bulb T5 fixture. I think it’s much more important to look at the corals. Sure, it’s on the lower end of what “experts” consider enough par, but I’m actually getting better colors with less light. The 4 bulbs are on for 7 hours total and the reefbrites are on for 12. I’m finding that being able to have good spread is much more important than par.

And, after hearing Dana Riddle say most of us are actually lighting our corals for too long with too much par that they shut down by photo-inhibition after about 4 hours of intense light I figured I’d give this a try and it really seems to be working well so far.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

To be honest with you, I stopped using my par meter over a year ago. I’ve come to learn that it does more harm than good. I have one tank with halides and another with an 8 bulb T5 fixture. I think it’s much more important to look at the corals. Sure, it’s on the lower end of what “experts” consider enough par, but I’m actually getting better colors with less light. The 4 bulbs are on for 7 hours total and the reefbrites are on for 12. I’m finding that being able to have good spread is much more important than par.

And, after hearing Dana Riddle say most of us are actually lighting our corals for too long with too much par that they shut down by photo-inhibition after about 4 hours of intense light I figured I’d give this a try and it really seems to be working well so far.
From what I've read, T5's are much less harsh on corals than LED's which is why I personally believe you absolutely need a par meter for LED setups. I would totally agree that spread is more important than hitting super high par numbers. I have a 6 bulb fixture and I run my reefbrights for 12hrs, two bulbs (actinic and coral plus hte other 4 are blue plus) for 10 hrs, and all 6 bulbs for a total of 8 hours. The plan is for the tank to be solely a LPS and softy tank and to start up a SPS tank separately.

OP
OP
njreefkeeper

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update. I’ve since removed the sand bed about a year ago and took this picture just before I hacked up the ORA Montipora Digitata on the left side to make room for some acropora on the bottom rack. Tank is hitting its stride. My lord does dry rock take a long time to stabilize! Patience, patience, and some more patience. This tank was switched over to LED’s about a year ago. Went with 3 Neptune Sky units and have to say I’m happy so far. Sorry for the late update and crappy cell phone pics.

I’ve been pretty much just letting the tank coast and only using a kalk reactor to this point. A minor manual 2 part adjustment each week seems to keep it steady but soon enough I’ll need to either get a doser for 2 part or bring my Geo Calcium reactor online.

Attachments

• 643DAD5A-A0B3-44D6-B902-5244E85BB14F.jpeg
    643DAD5A-A0B3-44D6-B902-5244E85BB14F.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 8D1C36C8-2CFA-478E-BE31-DA761092CF48.jpeg
    8D1C36C8-2CFA-478E-BE31-DA761092CF48.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 13

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back