400 gallon custom

ehull71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking of having a custom 400 gallon built by glass cages and the one question I have is which overflow style I should go with? It will be a mixed reef with predator type fish in it. I'm tossing between the center style overflow and a herbie style or something I have never used before which is there coast to coast type over flow all along the back. Which is better or are they the same? Which would be quiter as well ? Thanks

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie/bean to keep it simple are generally in reference to the number of drain holes it will have (per overflow)
A primary and secondary for herbie and add an additional emergency to make it a bean (with both having low/no noise as the goal)
Depending on the placement of the tank, an external overflow takes 0 real estate in the tank and plumbing the overflow on the side (peninsula style) or back is much easier than under the tank when factoring the sump and ends up adding more water volume which is a huge plus in my opinion.

Ultimately though regardless of which overflow style you choose, I would strongly suggest 3 holes minimum (primary + secondary + emergency drains) and then triple check placement of said aquarium before picking corner/center/external overflows + door clearance.
One of the worst things that could ever happen is you order your dream aquarium and you can't get it through the door or even access the plumbing due to the external overflow/placement of the aquarium.

OP
OP
E

ehull71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coast to coast would be internal and the center overflow will have 5 holes 2 for return amd the 3 would be 2 drain and 1 emergency the peninsula style would not work for where the tank is going

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since those are the options, I personally would do a partial internal coast to coast with 3 holes + 2 holes next to the overflow for returns provided you have room behind the aquarium for plumbing (ball + gate valves)

Realistically though with plumbing jutting out of an internal coast to coast vs external variety having the same plumbing going straight down, they take about the same real estate in the back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back