My 21 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday I added in my new corals. They all seem to be doing well right now. Tank is still stable and currently riding out the nuisance algae which is green film, diatoms, and possibly the start of coralline. Here are some pictures. I also attached a video of my scoly eating.

71A4DE8E-3439-4F8C-9FE2-3B24D0ED26A4.jpeg A3FE2ED6-A755-4225-A16F-78431DE296A6.jpeg 5591A770-066E-4509-9869-FA7FC7EDA625.jpeg
Nice looking new coral!

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair mocha ocellaris clowns yesterday. They seem to be doing okay but still some bickering going on. No split fins or anything like that yet. My yellow tail damsel doesn’t seem to mess with them much since he is smaller. I love watching them though. Anemone may be the next thing to get in a month or so. I also got some more snails to keep the algae in check and am hoping the sand clears up some.

C1AC27F2-DBDA-4621-979E-307AA3BB25E8.jpeg

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this green algae for a couple months now will it phase out or stay? I don’t have to clean the glass very often maybe 1 time a week or so but I was guessing it is green film since it started on the glass and rocks. However using a brush it does not remove any from the rocks. Also I cleaned my sand and is now much better since this photo.

EC36E5A0-EA06-4E72-A370-9D893E522A15.jpeg

Last edited:

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am cleaning my glass about once a week too and as for the stuff on the rocks, I see it come and go. Was alarmed by it at first but honestly I don’t think I have it too bad. Wouldn’t be alarmed either if I were you! Got a feeling it’ll phase out on its own. Sometimes I let the back glass go real green and kinda enjoy watching clusters of pods appear to feast on the film algae, an in tank refugium if you will

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cleaning my glass about once a week too and as for the stuff on the rocks, I see it come and go. Was alarmed by it at first but honestly I don’t think I have it too bad. Wouldn’t be alarmed either if I were you! Got a feeling it’ll phase out on its own. Sometimes I let the back glass go real green and kinda enjoy watching clusters of pods appear to feast on the film algae, an in tank refugium if you will
Yeah I haven't been too worried about it everything in the tank seems happy. My snails have been slowly munching on it on the rocks but they have kept the glass free of algae. Only time I clean the glass is from the snail slime. I would just like to see some coralline start to form I seeded the tank about a month ago.

Also I don't know about you but it is so hard for me to get Ro/Di water from my lfs without picking up another piece of coral.... lol I try my best but it seems every time I go there I find something else to buy with it haha.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I haven't been too worried about it everything in the tank seems happy. My snails have been slowly munching on it on the rocks but they have kept the glass free of algae. Only time I clean the glass is from the snail slime. I would just like to see some coralline start to form I seeded the tank about a month ago.

Also I don't know about you but it is so hard for me to get Ro/Di water from my lfs without picking up another piece of coral.... lol I try my best but it seems every time I go there I find something else to buy with it haha.

I have a similar syndrome. Wondering what LFS you frequent? The closest one for me is NY Reef Aquatic. They’ve been fairly helpful but what I didn’t like was that they really stressed using dry rock instead of live to avoid pests.

Maybe get yourself an RODI buddy? I make 5 gallons every week and that takes care of top off and WC

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this green algae for a couple months now will it phase out or stay? I don’t have to clean the glass very often maybe 1 time a week or so but I was guessing it is green film since it started on the glass and rocks. However using a brush it does not remove any from the rocks. Also I cleaned my sand and is now much better since this photo.

EC36E5A0-EA06-4E72-A370-9D893E522A15.jpeg
That’s normal for dry rock, it'll go away on its own

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar syndrome. Wondering what LFS you frequent? The closest one for me is NY Reef Aquatic. They’ve been fairly helpful but what I didn’t like was that they really stressed using dry rock instead of live to avoid pests.

Maybe get yourself an RODI buddy? I make 5 gallons every week and that takes care of top off and WC
Interesting I'm not sure if my water pressure will work it is usually 40 until the well turns on and then goes to 60 but I'm not sure if the throughput would be enough for the well to turn on while I'm making water.

I have a small shop about 45 min away that I go to. I have not had any issues with their water yet so I will probably continue to go. I am afraid of the iron content in my water at home. Tends to turn things a rusty color.

Also @lil sumpin I'm not in Brooklyn NY I'm in Michigan

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I'm not sure if my water pressure will work it is usually 40 until the well turns on and then goes to 60 but I'm not sure if the throughput would be enough for the well to turn on while I'm making water.

I have a small shop about 45 min away that I go to. I have not had any issues with their water yet so I will probably continue to go. I am afraid of the iron content in my water at home. Tends to turn things a rusty color.

Also @lil sumpin I'm not in Brooklyn NY I'm in Michigan
Have you considered a rodi booster pump? I think in the long run if you get a ro/di unit and add a few extra cartridges it’ll pay off and you’ll know your water is A1

Attachments

• IMG_9532.png
    IMG_9532.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a rodi booster pump? I think in the long run if you get a ro/di unit and add a few extra cartridges it’ll pay off and you’ll know your water is A1
Yes I did consider this. I think for getting water every couple of weeks, it is more of a headache for making my own RODI water. I'd be $200+ into it and spending 5$ for 10 gallons of water every couple of weeks I will survive.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything anyone would suggest changing or adding in my tank thus far?

I haven't had too many problems yet but I think my scoly is on it's way out I think I am going to move it to lower flow and lighting when I get home today. I think it got stung by and aptasia.

Info: I do not have an aptasia outbreak but my frag that the scoly came on had one on so I killed that one and I have not seen it spread anymore.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you seeing a lot of tissue receding? I’ve read that they benefit from occasional spot feeding and prefer some nutrients in the water. They’re supposedly a hardy variety so hopefully it bounces back.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing a lot of tissue receding? I’ve read that they benefit from occasional spot feeding and prefer some nutrients in the water. They’re supposedly a hardy variety so hopefully it bounces back.
Just one small edge but I have been spot feeding a couple times a week. It still opens up at night so I am hoping that is enough for it to bounce back but we will see.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so I have 2 clowns and I saw one of them with a white stringy poop once. So I thought I'd order some focus and metro and it took 3 days to get here; I have not not seen the white stringy poop for 5 days... Should I medicate or was is just a fluke.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so I have 2 clowns and I saw one of them with a white stringy poop once. So I thought I'd order some focus and metro and it took 3 days to get here; I have not not seen the white stringy poop for 5 days... Should I medicate or was is just a fluke.
Update: I have not seen it since, all fish seem to be doing well and happy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back