My 240 Gallon Build Thread

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build. Following along. Keep us updated!

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more item I forgot to mention. I ordered live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. My preference! No need to get in a live vs dead debate here. It's just a build thread (smile). But you will at least get to see how it progresses as I will update periodically once the tank is up and running. Florida has had a horrible winter so unfortunately I have to wait a little while before I can get the shipment. But once I do it will ultimately be the following:

620 lbs of Live Rock
310 lbs of Live Sand
310 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
160 Astrea Snails
14 Tiger Tails/Cucumbers
7 Serpent or Brittle Stars
7 Peppermint Shrimp

Following just to see how this turns out. Does it come in 2 seperate shipements? If money wasnt an object, probably the way I would go.... What has happened in FL this winter that was horrible? Don't keep up with their weather, but it was amazing the 10 days I was there over Christmas

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following just to see how this turns out. Does it come in 2 seperate shipements? If money wasnt an object, probably the way I would go.... What has happened in FL this winter that was horrible? Don't keep up with their weather, but it was amazing the 10 days I was there over Christmas

Yes it comes in two shipments. All the sand and half the rock. Need to cycle the tank and then the rest of the rock and my clean up crew comes. It's been nearly a decade since Tampa FL had average highs in the 60s for December. Last time was 2010.

Thanks for following along.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are gonna put 600lbs of rock in there? Thats crazy!

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was down in Cape Coral the last 2 years for Christmas break and it’s been high 70s low 80s. I went 3 years ago the third week of January and it was only like high 50s low 60s

are you saying it’s been too warm or too cool?

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was down in Cape Coral the last 2 years for Christmas break and it’s been high 70s low 80s. I went 3 years ago the third week of January and it was only like high 50s low 60s

are you saying it’s been too warm or too cool?
Too cool this December.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Looks great. What type of dry wall did you install around the tank? I look standard to me? Surprised they didn't recommend wonder board or something for moisture and for your sheet rock backer.
Keep the photos coming

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this tank 30in wide and 24in tall ?
To my huge surprise and disappointment I went down and measured it instead of going based on the dimensions that I was told was purchased (which I should have done in the 1st place) I find the dimensions are 96" x 24" x 25" and not 96'5" x 30.5" x 25" like I was told. So I'm really glad you asked. So it's more like a 240 Gallon tank instead of a 310 Gallon tank. I'm so confused and frustrated right now. I'll have to figure out what happened.

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Looks great. What type of dry wall did you install around the tank? I look standard to me? Surprised they didn't recommend wonder board or something for moisture and for your sheet rock backer.
Keep the photos coming
Standard drywall. Thanks.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my huge surprise and disappointment I went down and measured it instead of going based on the dimensions that I was told was purchased (which I should have done in the 1st place) I find the dimensions are 96" x 24" x 25" and not 96'5" x 30.5" x 25" like I was told. So I'm really glad you asked. So it's more like a 240 Gallon tank instead of a 310 Gallon tank. I'm so confused and frustrated right now. I'll have to figure out what happened.
Was that the LFS that told u those dimensions?

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that the LFS that told u those dimensions?
Yes. I'm so upset right now. Originally in 3/23/2019 I ordered a 270 Gallon 84x24x30 but as mentioned previously that never came. The LFS then ordered a 96" tank and telling me it was 310 Gallons. He specifically told me 96.5 x 30.5 x 25 but obviously that's wrong.

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. On Monday 2/10th I followed up with Tampa Bay to see how things were going and if I've moved up the list yet. The reply I got back was:

"We are trying again tomorrow....cross your fingers.."

And I never heard back.

On Tuesday 2/11th one of the ladies there replied to me with the following:

"I should know more tonight/ tomorrow.
Talk with you soon."

I've not heard a peep. I'll follow-up again at some point.

I did just send them an email asking them to adjust my order from 310 Gallons to 240 Gallons and to credit my card for the difference.

Back