My 40 Gallon Baby!

Suolainen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much time spent on research and even more money put out I have finally set up my first Saltwater tank! It is a 41.6 gallon (brand = Pico Aquariums) All-In-One and was set up on 6/25/2015.

Lighting: Radion xr30w Gen3 Pro with a radion mount

Live Filtration: 40# Live Sand, 40# Live Rock.

Chemical Filtration: Innovative Marine MiniMax midsize reactor running GFO and Carbon mixed.

Skimmer: Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004

Flow: I currently have Rio 1400 (420 GPH) return pump in the back which came with the tank and a VorTech MP10w QD.

Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 150 watt

Refugium: The middle chamber in the back is decent sized and I have a little Live Rock Rubble in the bottom with a ball of Chaeto currently. I currently have an IM Magnafuge LED light on an opposite schedule from my radion.

Water: I have my own RO/DI unit and am using RedSea Coral Pro Salt.

Fish: Black Ice Ocellaris Pair and one Blue-Green Chromis. Eventually plan on adding a Borbon Anthia and some sort of Goby.

Coral: So far I have one large colony and several small colonies/frags of green finger leather, 2 large colonies of Blue Candy-cane/Trumpets, several Zoas & Palys some orange mushrooms, one orange ricordia and a watermelon monti. Looking forward to adding more softies and some acans!

I would like to eventually (maybe in 8-10 months) get an anemone of some sort depending on the type of clowns I get.

CUC: Custom CUC from reef cleaners.

Dosing: Currently dosing BRS 2 part for calcium, Alk and Mag manually and eventually would like to go automated.

ATO: Tunze Osmolator ATO

Controller: I have a reeflink to control my Radion and VorTech. Eventually I might consider an Apex system.

Future Plans:
-I bought myself a birthday present from Alldelightcorals.com and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of some awesome corals on Tuesday!
-Eventually adding a controller (likely an apex but not sure just yet).
-Adding some more fish over the next 6 months.
-Starting to try my hand at fragging with some of the larger colonies that I have now.
-Enjoying my new AWESOME hobby everyday!!!!
-Working on getting better ways to photograph with my iPhone 6 because I spent too much money on this reef to be able to afford a camera anytime soon! (Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!!)

Initial Set-up 2 6-25-15.jpg
Initial Set-up 3 6-25-15.jpg
Black Ice Ocillaris.jpeg
06E21892-48D5-40C7-A59E-057360B74638.JPG
779F12E7-F602-4D7D-BF00-BBB32130964A.JPG
1629C268-4F67-436E-9603-41B807B72A7B.JPG
A5F75893-8B74-40C0-A42F-78504F3F1929.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

So that Is about it for my set-up thus far and my plans for the near future. As I am a complete novice I am open to any thoughts, comments, suggestions or critiques!!!!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back