My 55g re-start

Pizzatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55g 8 days after first fish.jpg

Here is the tank. Lots of future plans for this 55 gallon. Mostly this thread will be a way for me to keep track of my progress and a good place to keep notes for things I want to do still. hopefully it will keep me on track toward those goals. I am really into the small fish, feel every tank needs a few big ones to bring people over but once close should be able to stare for hours at all the little things going on. Normally I am a very private person but in this endeavor I am posting it here for you all to see, so that if I am going to regret a decision those with more experience can intervene on my fishes' behalf.

Where I am now... Started the fish stock with 3x Banggia Cardinalfish, can you spot them? At the moment I am feeding them spirulina brine shrimp from Hikari some days and PE Mysis on others. Was watching DIY Reef Chili: Make your own saltwater fish food! How to make frozen fish and coral foods. | BRStv and would love to gather some shrimp, tuna and squid as well as some small mouthed foods and make a small batch to feed something more varied. I think it should include a small pelleted food to make sure all the bases are covered, what would you put in it? After the first week have a little diatom action happening. I am using RODI water I make at home. My salt is Red Sea coral pro salt but will be changing to Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt as soon as I can find some for sale. Currently lights are set to turn on at noon and off at 10 PM. As most pictures online of reefs the image is more blue than real life, I am interested in getting a lens filter for my phone to help correct that in future, Know one that doesn't suck or cost much? Do the ones on amazon work?

Plans to add more rock hopefully some flatter stuff towards the top of the current rock pile to provide places for future coral growth. Bottom left need to move the rock in to make cleaning the glass easier. The right side my magnet cleaner gets through no problem even though it doesn't look like it in the photo. Tried to maximize the caves at the bottom in my aquascape. What do you think?

My favorite fish in the world so far is the Helfrichi firefish I would love to have a couple, with a couple purple firefish and a couple regular firefish, I think the mix would be so cool together. I am planning on waiting to setup my bigger tank for this. I've heard online of people putting the different kinds together but not sure how it turned out long term. Let me know if that would not work. I like most gobies and mandarins, most recently saw a ruby red, wow are they showy. Let me know of other fish I should check out, maybe I will get a new favorite.

I am super open to suggestions, If my fish need it I will make it happen. Keep in mind that budget plays a big role in my decisions (adulting sucks) but if I am cutting corners in the wrong places I would love to know before it's too late.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

OP
OP
Pizzatwo

Pizzatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats not good. Mh float for ato will be here tomorrow, tonight while topping off forgot and overflowed my tank. Soaking my led and was alerted by the sound of them blowing out. Thats a big set back... at least the fish are ok.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O no! Sorry about your light. Youll want a lid or screen top for your firefish. I likr dartfish. Zebra dart gobies i think they are. Be kool to have 20 or 30 small fish. Lol.
D

OP
OP
Pizzatwo

Pizzatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure on the screen top. Glass doesnt let any air exchange. This weekend also hanging a shelf the new light will hang from. Thanks for the advise on zebra darts. They would be a good tank mate.

OP
OP
Pizzatwo

Pizzatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cleaning the glass, I believe the old stand wiggled a bit and caused the tempered glass to shatter (all happened so fast and was so traumatic not really sure what happened). This filled my fish room three to four inches with water and sent my fish onto the floor. Luckily we were able to save all but one (at least for now). One of the rock mountains fell onto my foot, not so fun.

OP
OP
Pizzatwo

Pizzatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to others that find this thread, i didnt give up. My beautiful wife let me spend a rediculus amount on a new setup. 160g with new lighting and new equipment. Going by the book this time. Happy to say its been a year all is good. Just starting with corals now. But tank is looking great.

Back