My 5yo kid threw a toy at my tank and chipped a corner?

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the toy

we've got to be able to forensically trace and predict it off the information given or what use is 260 episodes of crime shows watched

factors: five years old likely metal toy options-matchbox cars move right into #1 spot for projectile hurls
-small dump trucks from the toy aisle in wal mart, those can do it. five years old is probably too young for metal tools as play items so I'm going all in for small dump truck and or bullet hot wheels launch.

plastic items I dont think could do that from a kid's trajectory it's gotta be a metal car imo small enough to be slung vs large item
Lol Brandon - can always count on you to turn this into a forensic investigation.

U r spot on, the culprit is this:

20220724_105649.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they dont even do it on thought. it's 100% spinal mediated reflex. I will throw this item because I can, and a jolt of impulse just said it's a good idea. watch how hard I can throw this, I'm batman. that's straight from the spine man there's no malice here.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the way they played last night, they sure can use another arm out of the pen. I'll give Cashman a call.

Did that last night, so far no change!

36". This is more a less a temporary tank. Hoping in a couple of years to upgrade to a 150 - 200. Will need to work on the house first (reinforce floor, add new circuits, plumbing to basement maintenance room, etc..)

Yeah it looks like a scallop.

With my upgrade I will still go glass i think, bc I dont want to deal with scratches and glass look clearer. I just hope by then he grows out of the "throw lightning McQueen into nemo phase"

pretty sure acrylic is actually higher clarity.. even compared to low iron glass. It is colorless.

I have a 7 year old small acrylic reef and it still looks great :) scratches don’t scare me since they are easy to fix.

Glass tanks are more readily available tho and generally cheaper since a good acrylic tank is always a custom order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure acrylic is actually higher clarity. Just FYI!

I have a 7 year old small acrylic reef and it still looks great :) scratches don’t scare me since they are easy to fix.

Glass tanks are more readily available tho and generally cheaper since a good acrylic tank is always a custom order.
Really? I always thought acrylic had that "hazy cloud" feel compared to for ex, starfire.

Next tank will be custom so I'll be sure to ask more questions to the builder on this..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I always thought acrylic had that "hazy cloud" feel compared to for ex, starfire.

Next tank will be custom so I'll be sure to ask more questions to the builder on this..

it comes in different grades but any tank should be so clear you that the fish look floating. Unless of course someone scratched it up and made it hazy.

The only downside is scratches. Otherwise it is superior in clarity, weight, and strength.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
36". This is more a less a temporary tank. Hoping in a couple of years to upgrade to a 150 - 200. Will need to work on the house first (reinforce floor, add new circuits, plumbing to basement maintenance room, etc..)
Now you have an excuse to get your new and better Tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it comes in different grades but any tank should be so clear you that the fish look floating. Unless of course someone scratched it up and made it hazy.

The only downside is scratches. Otherwise it is superior in clarity, weight, and strength.
Not to derail the thread here, but I’ve heard urchins are a nightmare in acrylic tanks because of the scratching. Anyone have any info to the contrary?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread here, but I’ve heard urchins are a nightmare in acrylic tanks because of the scratching. Anyone have any info to the contrary?

they were fine when little but definitely can scratch acrylic when bigger

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought came up more often than you'd think - like the time he poured my coffee into the tank, or the time he peed into the sump (good aim tho), or the time, he pulled all my nori out of the bag (like tissue paper) and tore them all into tiny pieces to play confetti - i swear im still vacuuming out tiny chunks of seaweed out of the carpet.
dont laugh...pee'ing in your sump is a great way to cycle a new tank!!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the projectile was air-born, i could see my life flash before my eyes. This is the result. Glass is 3/8. The chip is probably 1/4 high, 1/8 wide, and 1/16th at the deepest.

how much trouble is my son (or am i) in?

Tank is 65G total
20220723_205825.jpg
The stand looks like it took more damage, none look like a concern for me I'd have water in it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back